Drinks to put a little spring in your step

Springtime provides us with the perfect weather for sitting outside and sipping a colorful cocktail. For the student classy enough to own a cocktail shaker and a cabinet full of obscure liqueurs, now is your time to shine. Make a toast to good friends and good weather with these delicious concoctions.

Courtesy Flickr/Farmers&Fishers

Emboldened Cherry Blossom

Mix 1.5 oz. of jalapeno-infused tequila with 1.25 oz. blood orange juice. Combine with 0.75 oz. of Combier Rouge, 0.5 oz. of lemon juice and 0.25 oz. of Combier Liqueur d’Orange. Shake these ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and pour over a tall glass. Add Brut Champagne to the glass and garnish with a strawberry flower. The sweet and spicy mix is the ultimate fuel for a springtime adventure.

Springtime Martini

This drink combines the strong flavor of gin with notes of citrus light enough for spring. The recipe calls for 2 oz. of gin, 0.5 oz. of orange juice, 0.5 oz. of pineapple juice, 0.5 oz. of lime juice, 0.5 oz. of simple syrup and 0.25 oz. of Aperol, an Italian liqueur with a bitterness similar to that of grapefruit. Shake well in a cocktail shaker with ice, pour into chilled martini glasses and garnish with a lime slice.

The Barfly

This drink infuses mint into the mix. To make the drink, one must first create its two parts – one for the mint simple syrup, the other for the cocktail. First, prepare the syrup. Stir 0.5 cups of sugar with 0.5 cups of water and 0.5 cups of mint leaves into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Let it boil for one minute while stirring. Once the sugar is dissolved, let it cool for 30 minutes. Pour through a fine mesh sleeve and place it in the fridge.

For the cocktail, fill a shaker with ice and add 8 oz. of orange juice, 2 oz. of lemon juice, 1 oz. grenadine, 2 oz. tequila, 2 drops bitters, one tablespoon Chambord Liqueur and, finally, two tablespoon of the mint simple syrup you prepared earlier. Stir and pour the drink into a tall glass. Garnish with two mint sprigs.

Strawberry Daiquiris

Here’s an all-time favorite done in a healthy, all-natural way. The recipe calls for one cup of frozen strawberries, 0.25 cups freshly squeezed lime juice, 4.5 oz. of white rum, one tablespoon of raw agave nectar and 0.25 cups of ice. Place all ingredients in a blender, layering them in the order listed. Blend well and serve with a lime for garnish.

Celery Cup

Healthy eating is a must, and you’d be crazy to say no to a healthy drink. To make this refreshing twist on veggies, combine one inch of English cucumber, two inches of celery stalk, 0.25 cups of cilantro and 1 oz. of lemon juice. Crush these ingredients into a pulpy substance, then add 0.5 oz. of Pimm’s, 0.75 oz. of agave nectar and 1.5 oz. of Square One Cucumber Organic Vodka. Cover with ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain over ice in a tall glass and garnish with celery.

Alexa Wilansky can be reached at [email protected].