UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Youth scoring helps UMass stay undefeated at home

Taylor Snow/Collegian

Any doubts the Massachusetts men’s soccer team had of competing at home successfully were diminished Saturday afternoon.

The Minutemen (3-3-2) snapped their five-game winless streak with a 2-0 win over Dartmouth in their first game at Rudd Field since Aug. 31.

With the win, UMass improves its home record to 3-0-1 and will look to stay unbeaten in Amherst on Tuesday when the Minutemen host Syracuse at 3:30 p.m.

“It was good to play at home,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “It’s nice to be back here, and I thought the guys played very well after a poor performance against Siena (Wednesday). They bounced back well and they came to play.”

The Big Green (3-4-0) outshot the Minutemen, 18-9, and had 12 corner kicks as opposed to UMass’ three. Dartmouth’s opportunities were all for naught as senior goalkeeper Brian Frame continued to build on a strong season with six saves for his third shutout of the year.

Much of Frame’s performance was aided by a solid defensive effort that shut down Dartmouth’s leading scorer, Alex Adelabu, who came into Saturday scoring a goal in each of his previous four games. Adelabu did not get one shot off.

While Frame held his own in net, it was the underclassmen that stole the show in the scoring area of the game.

Freshman forward/midfielder Peter Alvarenga scored his first collegiate goal and earned an assist. Sophomore midfielder Zach Miller also scored his first goal of the season.

Freshman forward Jay Marchand assisted Alvarenga’s goal on a throw-in in the 62nd minute. Alvarenga knocked in on a header to give the Minutemen the 2-0 lead.

“We do long throw-ins just about every day in practice,” Alvarenga said. “Our coaches always stress getting to the near post, getting across the goalie and freezing him. So that’s exactly what happened and it worked out this time.

“It feels good,” he said of scoring his first collegiate goal. “I want to get more, obviously.”

Alvarenga’s first assist of the season came in the closing minute of the first half when assisting on Miller’s goal to give UMass the 1-0 lead heading into intermission.

The Minutemen were pushing the attack throughout the final few minutes of the half, but they capitalized on a possession that began with a throw-in to senior forward Hellah Sidibe, who fired at the net, leading to a scramble for the ball in front of Dartmouth keeper Noah Cohen (two saves).

Before Cohen had enough time to react to a header by Alvarenga, Miller came in and put the ball in the back of the net off his chest.

After making it 2-0 in the second half, the only challenge left for UMass was holding its own in what turned into a physical affair.

There was a total of 20 fouls between the two teams and four yellow cards issued in the second half.

It all began with Big Green coach Jeff Cook, who got a yellow card in the 75th minute for some heated shouting at the referee following a series of brutal collisions between the two teams that led to one of his players shaken up on the ground.

The Minutemen were issued the next three yellow cards.

Koch said he was happy with the way his group kept their composure as the physical nature of the game heated up.

“I thought they handled it well,” Koch said. “We didn’t get any calls by the referee and they still handled it well so I’m pleased with that.

“I think they’ve shown a fair amount of self-restraint when they’ve needed to, which they didn’t do early in the year, so that’s all getting better,” he said.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Canelas.

You must be logged in to post a comment.