Nominations for SGA elections will remain open until Feb. 19 -

SGA, MassPIRG work together on open source textbook initiative -

Civil rights activist Cornel West to speak at Smith College -

Uncertainties surround UMass men’s lacrosse as it kicks off season against Army -

New face, same old ‘Havoc’: UMass basketball ready to face familiar style of play against VCU -

UMass women’s lacrosse begins season with high expectations, seeking eighth straight A-10 championship -

UMass hockey players react to news of next year’s trip to Belfast -

UMass women’s basketball falls to La Salle, drops 11th straight game -

‘Havoc’ returns to Mullins Center as UMass men’s basketball prepares for VCU -

Bernie Sanders already making history as Jewish candidate -

Super Bowl is an impressive feat of entertainment -

‘The Hateful Eight’ shows Quentin Tarantino losing his edge -

Tips and travel hacks for a fun spring break -

MassPIRG forum discusses problem of antibiotic resistance -

First inside look at the John Francis Kennedy Champions Center -

UMass tennis rallies past St. Johns to give Red Storm first loss of season -

UMass community grieves for beloved friend and mentor James Tilley -

Amherst Board of Health votes against reinstating College Pizza’s food establishment license -

Top 25 Notebook: Duke gets back on winning track taking down No.13 Louisville Monday -

Battle of the bottom: UMass women’s basketball travels to La Salle Wednesday -

Both men’s and women’s swimming and diving top Binghamton.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

After having mixed results in the season opener, the Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both came out victorious over Binghamton over the weekend.

The men topped the Bearcats 191-126 while the women cruised to a 196.5-122.5 triumph.

Michael Glenn gave an impressive performance for the men’s team. Specializing in the breaststroke and individual medley races, the sophomore captured the first spot in all three of his events and accumulated 27 points for the Minutemen.

Glenn finished with a time of 58.05 seconds in the 100-yard breaststroke and 2:06.20 in the 200. His outing in the individual medley was just as successful with a finish time of 4:12.12.

Freshmen Alessandro Bomprezzi claimed his first two collegiate wins for UMass.

He won the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:51, and clocked in at 4:44.44 in the 500 for another victory.

Junior Chris Inglis finished right behind Bomprezzi in the two events.

However, he was not the only freshman to achieve a first in the meet. On the diving boards, Josh Koppel also obtained his first collegiate win with a score of 302.22 in the three-meter dive.Alexander Merkulov finished in second, at 296.62 in the same event and claimed the top position in the one-meter dive at 292.87.

Looking on to the next meet with Brown, UMass coach Russ Yarworth told UMassAthletics.com, “We probably have our toughest schedule we ever faced.

“My goal was to get competition for the kids that was going to be very challenging for them through the first semester so that their racing skills are developed by the time we get to the championship. Our goal is to peak at Atlantic 10s.”

Minutewomen equally successful

Capturing three wins for UMass was freshmen Jocelyn Yuen in the 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard butterfly.

With times of 59.01, 2:09.98 and 2:09.27, Yuen dominated her opponents and continued this ascending trend in two-team events.

Other members of the Minutewomen had more than one win as well. Katie Arnott, a sophomore from Suffern, N.Y., placed first in the 400-yard individual medley at 4:39.62 and the 200-yard breaststroke at 2:25.34. She took second place in the 100-yard breaststroke, finishing two minutes, 59 seconds behind Binghamton’s Corrine Zotter.

Another sophomore, Zoe Judd, won both the 100 and 200-yard freestyle races, at 53.39 and 1:54.44, respectively.

UMass  also  swept the Bearcats on the diving boards, with senior Michaela Butler claiming first in two events. She earned a score of 238.20 in the one-meter and 300.45 in the three-meter, a personal best.

Senior Molly Elkins finished in second at 230.48 and Rachael Dushman in third at 228.45.

Up next for both teams is a trip to Brown for a meet Saturday at 1 p.m.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter at @MDC_Boyer.