UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Both men’s and women’s swimming and diving top Binghamton.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

After having mixed results in the season opener, the Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both came out victorious over Binghamton over the weekend.

The men topped the Bearcats 191-126 while the women cruised to a 196.5-122.5 triumph.

Michael Glenn gave an impressive performance for the men’s team. Specializing in the breaststroke and individual medley races, the sophomore captured the first spot in all three of his events and accumulated 27 points for the Minutemen.

Glenn finished with a time of 58.05 seconds in the 100-yard breaststroke and 2:06.20 in the 200. His outing in the individual medley was just as successful with a finish time of 4:12.12.

Freshmen Alessandro Bomprezzi claimed his first two collegiate wins for UMass.

He won the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:51, and clocked in at 4:44.44 in the 500 for another victory.

Junior Chris Inglis finished right behind Bomprezzi in the two events.

However, he was not the only freshman to achieve a first in the meet. On the diving boards, Josh Koppel also obtained his first collegiate win with a score of 302.22 in the three-meter dive.Alexander Merkulov finished in second, at 296.62 in the same event and claimed the top position in the one-meter dive at 292.87.

Looking on to the next meet with Brown, UMass coach Russ Yarworth told UMassAthletics.com, “We probably have our toughest schedule we ever faced.

“My goal was to get competition for the kids that was going to be very challenging for them through the first semester so that their racing skills are developed by the time we get to the championship. Our goal is to peak at Atlantic 10s.”

Minutewomen equally successful

Capturing three wins for UMass was freshmen Jocelyn Yuen in the 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard butterfly.

With times of 59.01, 2:09.98 and 2:09.27, Yuen dominated her opponents and continued this ascending trend in two-team events.

Other members of the Minutewomen had more than one win as well. Katie Arnott, a sophomore from Suffern, N.Y., placed first in the 400-yard individual medley at 4:39.62 and the 200-yard breaststroke at 2:25.34. She took second place in the 100-yard breaststroke, finishing two minutes, 59 seconds behind Binghamton’s Corrine Zotter.

Another sophomore, Zoe Judd, won both the 100 and 200-yard freestyle races, at 53.39 and 1:54.44, respectively.

UMass  also  swept the Bearcats on the diving boards, with senior Michaela Butler claiming first in two events. She earned a score of 238.20 in the one-meter and 300.45 in the three-meter, a personal best.

Senior Molly Elkins finished in second at 230.48 and Rachael Dushman in third at 228.45.

Up next for both teams is a trip to Brown for a meet Saturday at 1 p.m.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter at @MDC_Boyer.