Joseph Kennedy III and Jim McGovern host ‘Your Vote, Your Voice’ talk Monday -

Douglas Bolender hosts talk about Vikings settlements in North America -

Defensive play will be critical for UMass hockey against No. 6 Quinnipiac -

UMass hockey faces tough task in traveling to No. 6 Quinnipiac -

Notebook: UMass men’s swimming and diving picks up first win of season, tennis ends fall schedule -

Why is nobody talking about the jails? -

A theory on why drunk people smash things -

Vote “No” on local Question 5 -

‘Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children’ is a passable fantasy affair -

‘The Get Down’ showcases the birth of hip-hop -

The day my friend lit my soul on fire -

Police raid 81-year-old’s property to confiscate a single pot plant -

Overtime goal lifts Massachusetts’ soccer over VCU -

Sarah-Violet Bliss and Charles Rogers lead ‘Search Party’ at UMass -

Nobel Prize recipient Amartya Sen gives talk about closing the economic gap -

Greek 101 event hosted by Greek Health Advisors -

The UMass men’s soccer team is lifted by the strong play by Josh Jess at both ends of the field in 1-0 victory of VCU -

The NFL is too lenient on abusers -

UMass women’s soccer crushes VCU 3-0 Sunday afternoon -

UMass field hockey comes away with weekend split in Philadelphia -

Cool cocktails that will keep spirits bright

It’s time to gear up for the long, cold nights ahead of us with some cool cocktails that will be sure to heat things right up.

Midnight Snowstorm

For nights that are exceptionally blustery out, try this cocktail – which has a recipe listed on – to keep you satisfied indoors. Mix white crème de menthe and hot chocolate together in a glass. Add whipped cream to the top and then drizzle with green crème de menthe for added flavor.

Snowflake Martini

This drink – which also has a recipe listed on – is simple to make and looks best when garnished properly. Mix Bailey’s Irish Cream, Godiva white chocolate liqueur and fresh cream in a glass. Add a bit of Frangelico to taste. To decorate the glass, drizzle raspberry syrup around the inside. Since the mixture itself is white, it contrasts nicely with a red drizzle.

Candy Cane Martini

The Candy Cane Martini is especially festive and requires you to rim the serving glass with crushed candy canes for a minty taste. For the cocktail itself, which has recipe listed, shake together strawberry vodka, crème de menthe and cranberry juice for a deliciously fruity, yet minty drink.

Marshmallow Martini

If you love the sugary sweetness of toasted marshmallows, this drink is the one for you. Stir together equal parts vanilla vodka, hazelnut liqueur and fresh cream. Top with mini marshmallows for an extra sugar rush! A complete recipe can be found on

Hot Spiced Apple Cider

If apple cider was your favorite seasonal beverage as a kid and you want to spice things up this winter, try this recipe. While this recipe – which can be found at – calls for some actual stove-top cooking, the result is delicious and well worth the extra effort. You’ll need a half gallon of apple cider, five sticks of cinnamon, five cloves, nut-meg, vanilla and honey. Mix together in a pot and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in about a bottle of sweet white wine and turn off the heat. Add in cranberries for color and an extra sweet punch!

Dirty Eggnong

If you’re interested in a more complex cocktail but cider isn’t for you, try this spin on a classic. On low heat, mix a quart of milk with a packet of vanilla pudding mix. Once the pudding is dissolved in the milk, slowly stir in one cup of Bailey’s Irish Cream. Then slowly stir in one cup of bourbon. Finally add in a half cup of either Goldschlager schnapps or Fireball whiskey to add a cinnamon flavor. A complete recipe can be found on

If you and your significant other (or your cat) love to cuddle, then the Snuggler is for you. Mix some peppermint schnapps, sugar and hot chocolate topped with whipped cream – the alcoholic kind if you’re daring – and buckle down for a cozy evening. A complete recipe can be found on

Peppermint Penguin

If you want to take the frozen route for drinks this winter, this blended cocktail – which has a recipe that can be found on – will be sure to delight your taste buds. Blend some green crème de menthe, some chocolate mint liqueur, some Oreos, some light cream and ice. Mix in a blender and top with extra crushed cookies for a chocolaty chiller.

Mexican Hot Chocolate

If tequila is your spirit of choice, then try this ‘muy bueno’ beverage. Add some coffee liqueur and tequila to hot chocolate and top with whipped cream and cinnamon for a warm fiesta! A complete recipe can be found on

Have too many hours of shoveling turned your fingertips numb? Try this blue beverage – which has a recipe that can be found on – to warm your limbs. Shake together one and a half ounces of tequila, a half ounce of white crème de cacao, a half ounce of blue curacao and some cream. Serve over ice for a frosty fun beverage!

Please drink responsibly.

Ashley Berger can be reached at