UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Cool cocktails that will keep spirits bright

Flickr/KatLevPhoto

It’s time to gear up for the long, cold nights ahead of us with some cool cocktails that will be sure to heat things right up.

Midnight Snowstorm

For nights that are exceptionally blustery out, try this cocktail – which has a recipe listed on about.com – to keep you satisfied indoors. Mix white crème de menthe and hot chocolate together in a glass. Add whipped cream to the top and then drizzle with green crème de menthe for added flavor.

Snowflake Martini

This drink – which also has a recipe listed on metromix.com – is simple to make and looks best when garnished properly. Mix Bailey’s Irish Cream, Godiva white chocolate liqueur and fresh cream in a glass. Add a bit of Frangelico to taste. To decorate the glass, drizzle raspberry syrup around the inside. Since the mixture itself is white, it contrasts nicely with a red drizzle.

Candy Cane Martini

The Candy Cane Martini is especially festive and requires you to rim the serving glass with crushed candy canes for a minty taste. For the cocktail itself, which has recipe listed marthastewart.com, shake together strawberry vodka, crème de menthe and cranberry juice for a deliciously fruity, yet minty drink.

Marshmallow Martini

If you love the sugary sweetness of toasted marshmallows, this drink is the one for you. Stir together equal parts vanilla vodka, hazelnut liqueur and fresh cream. Top with mini marshmallows for an extra sugar rush! A complete recipe can be found on mandatory.com.

Hot Spiced Apple Cider

If apple cider was your favorite seasonal beverage as a kid and you want to spice things up this winter, try this recipe. While this recipe – which can be found at food52.com – calls for some actual stove-top cooking, the result is delicious and well worth the extra effort. You’ll need a half gallon of apple cider, five sticks of cinnamon, five cloves, nut-meg, vanilla and honey. Mix together in a pot and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in about a bottle of sweet white wine and turn off the heat. Add in cranberries for color and an extra sweet punch!

Dirty Eggnong

If you’re interested in a more complex cocktail but cider isn’t for you, try this spin on a classic. On low heat, mix a quart of milk with a packet of vanilla pudding mix. Once the pudding is dissolved in the milk, slowly stir in one cup of Bailey’s Irish Cream. Then slowly stir in one cup of bourbon. Finally add in a half cup of either Goldschlager schnapps or Fireball whiskey to add a cinnamon flavor. A complete recipe can be found on chicagomaroon.com.

Snuggler

If you and your significant other (or your cat) love to cuddle, then the Snuggler is for you. Mix some peppermint schnapps, sugar and hot chocolate topped with whipped cream – the alcoholic kind if you’re daring – and buckle down for a cozy evening. A complete recipe can be found on hubpages.com.

Peppermint Penguin

If you want to take the frozen route for drinks this winter, this blended cocktail – which has a recipe that can be found on voices.yahoo.com – will be sure to delight your taste buds. Blend some green crème de menthe, some chocolate mint liqueur, some Oreos, some light cream and ice. Mix in a blender and top with extra crushed cookies for a chocolaty chiller.

Mexican Hot Chocolate

If tequila is your spirit of choice, then try this ‘muy bueno’ beverage. Add some coffee liqueur and tequila to hot chocolate and top with whipped cream and cinnamon for a warm fiesta! A complete recipe can be found on mydot.com.

Frostbite

Have too many hours of shoveling turned your fingertips numb? Try this blue beverage – which has a recipe that can be found on about.com – to warm your limbs. Shake together one and a half ounces of tequila, a half ounce of white crème de cacao, a half ounce of blue curacao and some cream. Serve over ice for a frosty fun beverage!

Please drink responsibly.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu