Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Cool cocktails that will keep spirits bright

Flickr/KatLevPhoto

It’s time to gear up for the long, cold nights ahead of us with some cool cocktails that will be sure to heat things right up.

Midnight Snowstorm

For nights that are exceptionally blustery out, try this cocktail – which has a recipe listed on about.com – to keep you satisfied indoors. Mix white crème de menthe and hot chocolate together in a glass. Add whipped cream to the top and then drizzle with green crème de menthe for added flavor.

Snowflake Martini

This drink – which also has a recipe listed on metromix.com – is simple to make and looks best when garnished properly. Mix Bailey’s Irish Cream, Godiva white chocolate liqueur and fresh cream in a glass. Add a bit of Frangelico to taste. To decorate the glass, drizzle raspberry syrup around the inside. Since the mixture itself is white, it contrasts nicely with a red drizzle.

Candy Cane Martini

The Candy Cane Martini is especially festive and requires you to rim the serving glass with crushed candy canes for a minty taste. For the cocktail itself, which has recipe listed marthastewart.com, shake together strawberry vodka, crème de menthe and cranberry juice for a deliciously fruity, yet minty drink.

Marshmallow Martini

If you love the sugary sweetness of toasted marshmallows, this drink is the one for you. Stir together equal parts vanilla vodka, hazelnut liqueur and fresh cream. Top with mini marshmallows for an extra sugar rush! A complete recipe can be found on mandatory.com.

Hot Spiced Apple Cider

If apple cider was your favorite seasonal beverage as a kid and you want to spice things up this winter, try this recipe. While this recipe – which can be found at food52.com – calls for some actual stove-top cooking, the result is delicious and well worth the extra effort. You’ll need a half gallon of apple cider, five sticks of cinnamon, five cloves, nut-meg, vanilla and honey. Mix together in a pot and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in about a bottle of sweet white wine and turn off the heat. Add in cranberries for color and an extra sweet punch!

Dirty Eggnong

If you’re interested in a more complex cocktail but cider isn’t for you, try this spin on a classic. On low heat, mix a quart of milk with a packet of vanilla pudding mix. Once the pudding is dissolved in the milk, slowly stir in one cup of Bailey’s Irish Cream. Then slowly stir in one cup of bourbon. Finally add in a half cup of either Goldschlager schnapps or Fireball whiskey to add a cinnamon flavor. A complete recipe can be found on chicagomaroon.com.

Snuggler

If you and your significant other (or your cat) love to cuddle, then the Snuggler is for you. Mix some peppermint schnapps, sugar and hot chocolate topped with whipped cream – the alcoholic kind if you’re daring – and buckle down for a cozy evening. A complete recipe can be found on hubpages.com.

Peppermint Penguin

If you want to take the frozen route for drinks this winter, this blended cocktail – which has a recipe that can be found on voices.yahoo.com – will be sure to delight your taste buds. Blend some green crème de menthe, some chocolate mint liqueur, some Oreos, some light cream and ice. Mix in a blender and top with extra crushed cookies for a chocolaty chiller.

Mexican Hot Chocolate

If tequila is your spirit of choice, then try this ‘muy bueno’ beverage. Add some coffee liqueur and tequila to hot chocolate and top with whipped cream and cinnamon for a warm fiesta! A complete recipe can be found on mydot.com.

Frostbite

Have too many hours of shoveling turned your fingertips numb? Try this blue beverage – which has a recipe that can be found on about.com – to warm your limbs. Shake together one and a half ounces of tequila, a half ounce of white crème de cacao, a half ounce of blue curacao and some cream. Serve over ice for a frosty fun beverage!

Please drink responsibly.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu

You must be logged in to post a comment.