Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

UMass basketball center Cady Lalanne reinstated after serving suspension

After serving a nearly two-week suspension, Massachusetts men’s basketball center Cady Lalanne was reinstated to the team on Friday by UMass athletic director John McCutcheon.

Lalanne, who was arrested for his role in an altercation with police officers at an on-campus function on the night of Dec. 1, was back at practice on Friday as he awaits the results of a conduct case with dean of students. He will immediately be available for the Minutemen’s game against Elon on Saturday afternoon at the MassMutual Center in Springfield.

“I’m very grateful to rejoin the team and look forward to using this experience as a positive influence on campus and in the community,” Lalanne told reporters at the team’s shootaround on Friday at the MassMutual Center.

While Lalanne will be back in uniform Saturday, UMass coach Derek Kellogg said he’ll stick with senior Sampson Carter as the starting center against the Phoenix. Lalanne previously started each of the six games he appeared in, averaging 4.8 points and 5.2 rebounds in 20.5 minutes per game.

“I’m just excited to have him back with the team, and we put the statement out saying kind of what we’re going to talk about as far as that goes,” Kellogg said. “It’s good for him, I think it’s good for our team. I think he’s excited about being back and I think he’s learned a valuable lesson here.”

Despite missing a game and team practices due to suspension, Lalanne has stayed in shape thanks to individual workouts with team strength coach Richard Hogans.

“I feel like I’m in better shape with my legs because I’ve been working out with big Rich the whole time that I’ve missed,” Lalanne said. “I feel like my legs are underneath me now.”

Neither Lalanne nor Kellogg commented on Lalanne’s specific allegations surrounding the case because of legal issues. Lalanne is due back in court on Jan. 9 for a pre-trial hearing.

“Like with any kid, just by talking and being around him, he’s very remorseful and just wants to do the right thing,” Kellogg said. “I think he’s ready to move on, be a model citizen, a model player and a great student and I think he’s done a lot of those things.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.

You must be logged in to post a comment.