SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

CMASS holds ‘Half Empty or Half Full?: What is Sustainability?’ meeting -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass women’s basketball splits weekend series in Hospitality Hill Challenge -

Monday, November 24, 2014

‘Dragon Age: Inquisition’ is epic and moving -

Monday, November 24, 2014

For-profit colleges are driving student debt -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Project X Student Showcase -

Monday, November 24, 2014

The Martha Graham Dance Company gives traditional, yet innovative and strong performance -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass international students prepare for Thanksgiving in America -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Lammily doll defies life in plastic, and it’s fantastic? -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Do you have a social allergy? -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass basketball outlasts Florida State 75-69 -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Minutemen ride strong bench play to 75-69 win over Florida state -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Jesse Morgan’s career-high 35 points steer Minutemen to win over Ohio

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

It’s not often that the play of the Massachusetts men’s basketball team has people making comparisons to past UMass greats like Julius Erving and Marcus Camby. But for one night, junior guard Jesse Morgan had people rushing to check the school record books.

Morgan scored a career-high 35 points in the Minutemen’s 85-76 home win over Ohio in front of 3,821 spectators on Wednesday night at the Mullins Center. Morgan’s scoring output was the highest of any Atlantic 10 Conference player this year and is tied for the 13th most all-time in UMass history.

Morgan, who connected on 7-of-10 3-point attempts, said after the game that the rim felt “ocean big” to him as the game progressed. “After my first shot I felt like I couldn’t miss again,” he said.

UMass coach Derek Kellogg, who hasn’t been used to wins that don’t come down to the wire so far this season, said it was comforting to see Morgan playing with such confidence.

“It’s huge,” Kellogg said. “I’ve seen him do that before and to see him do it now in a college game was really just kind of uplifting for the team, (and) I think uplifting for the fans.

“As a coach, when he’s raising up and you think it’s in, instead of kind of praying that it goes in, it’s nice that I felt really confident about the guys over there today.”

UMass (6-3) used Morgan’s career-best shooting performance to help put together two extended scoring runs against a formidable Bobcat team that shot 45.3 percent from the field. After falling behind 18-6 in the game’s first five minutes, the Minutemen went on a 23-1 run powered by a flurry of Morgan 3-point makes, several of which coming at the edge of his self-described “in-the-gym” shooting range.

While the Bobcats’ (7-4) hot shooters — led by 23 points from senior guard D.J. Cooper — kept Ohio within striking distance throughout, UMass took a 48-40 advantage into the half and never relinquished the lead.

“I thought we took on a very good Ohio team that came in 7-3,” Kellogg said. “I thought our guys, except for the first probably four or five minutes of the game played at a high level and really played UMass basketball.”

Lost in the hype surrounding Morgan’s big night, perhaps to fans but not his coach, was the first career double-double from beleaguered sophomore forward Cady Lalanne. Lalanne, who made news after being arrested on Dec. 1, recently returned from suspension and put together his strongest showing yet against the Bobcats, tallying 12 points and 11 boards.

“I thought Cady was real big tonight getting some offensive rebound put backs,” Kellogg said. “(It was) by far the best game of the year for Cady.”

Junior guard Chaz Williams, who saw his 26-game double-digit scoring streak come to an end, played the role of trigger plan to a tee, making sure Morgan had the ball when he was hot and drawing off Lalanne’s offensive boards.

“Once I see (Morgan) hit, it’s no more going away from Jesse or run different plays,” Williams said. “You can’t let plays go without him touching the ball, and that’s exactly what I was out there trying to do.”

The Minutemen next play host to visiting East Carolina on Saturday when they look to extend their winning streak to four games at 1:30 p.m. at the Mullins Center.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.