Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass men’s and women’s swimming squads finish season at Fordham

Maria Uminski/Collegian

In its last meet of the season, the Massachusetts men’s swimming and diving team ended on a strong note with a 183-113 victory over Fordham on Saturday. The Minutemen won 11 of 16 events in the outing from the Messmore Aquatic Center in the Bronx, N.Y.

Junior Colin Mulcahy, senior Peter Sacco, senior Tim O’Neill and sophomore John Conway were once again dominant in the 200-yard medley, finishing in first at one minute, 31.51 seconds.

Junior Chris Inglis finished first in the 200-yard freestyle event at 1:44, with junior Troy Nichols and freshman Brian Stiles right behind him at 1:44.19 and 1:44.84, respectively.

UMass coach Russ Yarworth spoke about the last meet before Atlantic 10 championships.

“I was impressed with the intensity because it was the last meet before championships and it was an Atlantic 10 conference meet,” he said. “Fordham had some good individual swimmers and their kids came out aggressive and swam hard.

“That’s what you always look for in the last meet,” Yarworth continued. “You want to see that competitive spirit.

Sophomore Hao Luong and senior Beau Garufi, who took first in two events each, also showed dominance on Saturday. Luong was strong in the backstroke events, coming in at 52.65 in the 100 meters and 1:53.21 in the 200 meters. Meanwhile, Garufi swept in the breaststroke events with a time of 59.87 in the 100 and 2:09.38 in the 200.

On the diving board, freshman Josh Koppel had much success, taking the top spots in the one-and-three-meter events and earning 18 points for the Minutemen.

Yarworth also felt the team’s commitment to training helped produce the positive result.

“Certainly we have a good work ethic and I think our training culture is what produces the end result,” he said. “I would say our training culture and work capacity has been really good.”

The A-10 Championships start for UMass on Feb. 20 in Geneva, Ohio.

Women fall to Rams

The outcome for the women on Saturday was different than the men, as UMass fell to Fordham, 176-120.

Senior Michaela Butler led the team with two first-place finishes on the boards. One of those was in the 1-meter dive, in which she earned a score of 265.64. The other came in the 3-meter dive, where she had a score of 298.43.

Another first place winner of the day was freshman Katherine Orr, who finished with a time of 10:32.97 in the 1000-yard freestyle event. Fellow rookie Jocelyn Yuen came in the top spot in the 200 fly at 2:07.95.

Sophomore Zoe Judd came in first in the 500-meter freestyle with a time of 5:06.82. Molly Smyth finished right behind her at 5:06.82.

The women’s A-10 Championships are also on Feb. 20 in Geneva, Ohio.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Kaitlin_Boyer.

One Response to “UMass men’s and women’s swimming squads finish season at Fordham”
  1. Good for them. Good for people their age to have such drive.