UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass men’s and women’s swimming squads finish season at Fordham

Maria Uminski/Collegian

In its last meet of the season, the Massachusetts men’s swimming and diving team ended on a strong note with a 183-113 victory over Fordham on Saturday. The Minutemen won 11 of 16 events in the outing from the Messmore Aquatic Center in the Bronx, N.Y.

Junior Colin Mulcahy, senior Peter Sacco, senior Tim O’Neill and sophomore John Conway were once again dominant in the 200-yard medley, finishing in first at one minute, 31.51 seconds.

Junior Chris Inglis finished first in the 200-yard freestyle event at 1:44, with junior Troy Nichols and freshman Brian Stiles right behind him at 1:44.19 and 1:44.84, respectively.

UMass coach Russ Yarworth spoke about the last meet before Atlantic 10 championships.

“I was impressed with the intensity because it was the last meet before championships and it was an Atlantic 10 conference meet,” he said. “Fordham had some good individual swimmers and their kids came out aggressive and swam hard.

“That’s what you always look for in the last meet,” Yarworth continued. “You want to see that competitive spirit.

Sophomore Hao Luong and senior Beau Garufi, who took first in two events each, also showed dominance on Saturday. Luong was strong in the backstroke events, coming in at 52.65 in the 100 meters and 1:53.21 in the 200 meters. Meanwhile, Garufi swept in the breaststroke events with a time of 59.87 in the 100 and 2:09.38 in the 200.

On the diving board, freshman Josh Koppel had much success, taking the top spots in the one-and-three-meter events and earning 18 points for the Minutemen.

Yarworth also felt the team’s commitment to training helped produce the positive result.

“Certainly we have a good work ethic and I think our training culture is what produces the end result,” he said. “I would say our training culture and work capacity has been really good.”

The A-10 Championships start for UMass on Feb. 20 in Geneva, Ohio.

Women fall to Rams

The outcome for the women on Saturday was different than the men, as UMass fell to Fordham, 176-120.

Senior Michaela Butler led the team with two first-place finishes on the boards. One of those was in the 1-meter dive, in which she earned a score of 265.64. The other came in the 3-meter dive, where she had a score of 298.43.

Another first place winner of the day was freshman Katherine Orr, who finished with a time of 10:32.97 in the 1000-yard freestyle event. Fellow rookie Jocelyn Yuen came in the top spot in the 200 fly at 2:07.95.

Sophomore Zoe Judd came in first in the 500-meter freestyle with a time of 5:06.82. Molly Smyth finished right behind her at 5:06.82.

The women’s A-10 Championships are also on Feb. 20 in Geneva, Ohio.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Kaitlin_Boyer.

One Response to “UMass men’s and women’s swimming squads finish season at Fordham”
  1. Good for them. Good for people their age to have such drive.