UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

UMass men’s and women’s swimming squads finish season at Fordham

Maria Uminski/Collegian

In its last meet of the season, the Massachusetts men’s swimming and diving team ended on a strong note with a 183-113 victory over Fordham on Saturday. The Minutemen won 11 of 16 events in the outing from the Messmore Aquatic Center in the Bronx, N.Y.

Junior Colin Mulcahy, senior Peter Sacco, senior Tim O’Neill and sophomore John Conway were once again dominant in the 200-yard medley, finishing in first at one minute, 31.51 seconds.

Junior Chris Inglis finished first in the 200-yard freestyle event at 1:44, with junior Troy Nichols and freshman Brian Stiles right behind him at 1:44.19 and 1:44.84, respectively.

UMass coach Russ Yarworth spoke about the last meet before Atlantic 10 championships.

“I was impressed with the intensity because it was the last meet before championships and it was an Atlantic 10 conference meet,” he said. “Fordham had some good individual swimmers and their kids came out aggressive and swam hard.

“That’s what you always look for in the last meet,” Yarworth continued. “You want to see that competitive spirit.

Sophomore Hao Luong and senior Beau Garufi, who took first in two events each, also showed dominance on Saturday. Luong was strong in the backstroke events, coming in at 52.65 in the 100 meters and 1:53.21 in the 200 meters. Meanwhile, Garufi swept in the breaststroke events with a time of 59.87 in the 100 and 2:09.38 in the 200.

On the diving board, freshman Josh Koppel had much success, taking the top spots in the one-and-three-meter events and earning 18 points for the Minutemen.

Yarworth also felt the team’s commitment to training helped produce the positive result.

“Certainly we have a good work ethic and I think our training culture is what produces the end result,” he said. “I would say our training culture and work capacity has been really good.”

The A-10 Championships start for UMass on Feb. 20 in Geneva, Ohio.

Women fall to Rams

The outcome for the women on Saturday was different than the men, as UMass fell to Fordham, 176-120.

Senior Michaela Butler led the team with two first-place finishes on the boards. One of those was in the 1-meter dive, in which she earned a score of 265.64. The other came in the 3-meter dive, where she had a score of 298.43.

Another first place winner of the day was freshman Katherine Orr, who finished with a time of 10:32.97 in the 1000-yard freestyle event. Fellow rookie Jocelyn Yuen came in the top spot in the 200 fly at 2:07.95.

Sophomore Zoe Judd came in first in the 500-meter freestyle with a time of 5:06.82. Molly Smyth finished right behind her at 5:06.82.

The women’s A-10 Championships are also on Feb. 20 in Geneva, Ohio.

Kaitlin Boyer can be reached at krboyer@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Kaitlin_Boyer.

One Response to “UMass men’s and women’s swimming squads finish season at Fordham”
  1. Good for them. Good for people their age to have such drive.