Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Dunks, alley-oops lift UMass men’s hoops past St. Joe’s

Cade Belisle/Collegian

From the opening tip, it was clear as day that the Massachusetts men’s basketball team had highlight reel plays in its sight.

Raphiael Putney tipped the jump ball to Chaz Williams, who took two dribbles and lobbed the ball up to a streaking Putney, who grabbed the pass and tried to throw it down, but grabbed iron instead of net.

Despite the failed alley-oop attempt, it wouldn’t be the last time UMass attempted to bring the house down, as the Minutemen used a season high 10 dunks to sprint past Saint Joseph’s, 80-62, Saturday night at the Mullins Center.

“I thought today looked like UMass basketball,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said after the game. “We got some transition baskets, we shared the ball. … We need fast break points, we need transition baskets, and fortunately for us, (Saturday) we received those.”

The Minutemen (16-6, 6-3 Atlantic 10) ran early and often, storming out to a 14-0 edge in fast break points over a Hawks (13-9, 4-5 A-10) team that prefers to grind out possessions as opposed to sprinting frantically up and down the floor. Fourteen turnovers came back to haunt SJU as well, which led to another 14 points for UMass.

“That is an Achilles’ heel with our team,” Saint Joseph’s coach Phil Martelli said. “We’re not very fast, and we got hurt by the speed, particularly the last four or five minutes of the first half.”

Five Minutemen participated in the sudden dunk contest, but the throw-down of the night belonged to Maxie Esho.

With eight minutes, 52 seconds left in the first half, Williams worked his way around a ball screen at the top of the key, then darted back to the left and attacked the paint. As the defense committed to Williams, Esho darted from the corner to the basket behind the collapsed SJU defense, and Williams served him a perfect helper as Esho grabbed the ball with his back to the basket and slammed home a reverse dunk that brought the student section and Mullins faithful to life.

After the slam, Williams looked to the packed student section and let out a scream as the crowd erupted.

Kellogg thinks those type of plays will keep the students coming back to watch, as the Minutemen continue to strive for a packed house for every home game.

“We’ve been trying to get a good student section here for a long time,” Kellogg said. “Obviously, it’s getting better, it’s building, it’s getting better, and to have that many students here tonight and actually have some dunks and hear them get excited, hopefully they’ll come back. That’s what it comes down to.”

But it’s not only the fans that enjoy the above-the-rim action; players, like Sampson Carter, like to think of dunks as knockout punches against the opposition.

“Teams don’t want to get dunked on, and it gets the crowd involved and everybody gets excited, we pull closer together, so I think it does a lot to teams,” Carter said.

But it turned out Esho wasn’t done demoralizing the Hawks.

After a Freddie Riley layup bumped UMass’ lead back to eight with 10:03 remaining in the contest, Vinson intercepted the ensuing inbound pass and laid a perfect lob to Esho, who corralled it with his right hand and flushed it down one-handed to spark the Mullins into yet another frenzy. The sequence turned a once six-point game into a 10-point advantage and set the stage for the Minutemen’s dominating stretch to close out the game.

“When (Maxie’s) playing with good energy – which I had thought he did in that second half stretch there – he’s a valuable piece for us,” Kellogg said. “Especially when we’re pressing and running and getting the game up and down, his athleticism, his length, gives us another weapon out there.”

As for the rest of the UMass squad, they certainly enjoyed the exhilarating tempo of the game and play above the rim.

“It was a fun night,” Carter said. “Everybody got involved, we had a lot of fast break, easy ones, so it was a good night for everybody.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.