Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Rogue Brewery blends chocolate and beer seamlessly

Based in Oregon, the Rogue brewery is known for its daring and inventive creations. Its flagship beer, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, won the silver medal in the World Beer Championship from 2005 through 2007 and is available nationwide wherever good craft beers are sold.

Courtesy of rogue.com

Outside of the Dead Guy Ale, the Rogue company offers a delectable variety of different brews, including the Juniper Pale Ale, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout and “Dad’s Little Helper,” a creamy black IPA with tasty hints of almond.

Besides a plethora of delicious nectars, what really sets the Rogue brewery apart from other craft brewing companies is the fact that every beer it brews is 100 percent free of chemicals, additives and preservatives, a rare phenomenon in any food or beverage item these days but especially rare in the beer world. The name “Rogue” is certainly appropriate, because every beer that comes from this brewery is uniquely crafted and without equal elsewhere in the craft brew world.

Rogue’s Mocha Porter, a popular winter seasonal, is the quintessence of its unique flavor pairings. Porters by nature are dark, strong beers whose hoppy taste comes from the brown malt used in the brewing process, making them ideal for more exotic tasting ingredients to be added, ones which may give the beer a more interesting flavor. The essence of chocolate that goes into the Mocha Porter is simultaneously sweet and decadent like fine dark chocolate, but not so sugary that it overpowers the thick malt composition. Just brushing the line between sweet and tart, the Mocha Porter is a dazzling delight to the taste buds that is as surprisingly mellow as it is decadent.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass, this beer yields a milky consistency and a dark brown color that borders on jet black, unleashing a strong aroma of chocolate and coffee. The half-inch thick foam settles quickly but leaves plenty of lacing atop this black brew, and mild carbonation keeps the taste refreshingly crisp. Strong hints of oats and roasted malts are complemented by an under taste of bitter coffee, with a lightly acidic edge that is just sharp enough to remind the drinker that they are indeed drinking a beer and not some effete chocolate delicacy. A mouthful of chocolate essence accompanies the thick finish, with an aftertaste reminiscent of cocoa and dark ale.

While the chocolaty taste is pronounced it does not overshadow the hoppiness in the composition, creating a delightful balance between sweet and tart that makes for a pleasant imbibing experience. The only downside of the taste is that it is so rich and flavorful that it makes an ordinary bar of chocolate seem just plain dull by comparison. Montezuma himself would surely have been envious of this masterful aggregation of cocoa and alcohol that defies all taste logic.

While the Mocha Porter is an excellent complement to beef or pasta dishes, it is best paired with desserts that require a lot of chocolate, such as cake or even brownies. For choco-holics, the Mocha Porter is a dream come true because it has a sweetness all its own that few other beers can compare to. Anyone looking to expand their beer horizons outside the realm of IPAs and lagers would do well to pick up a six-pack of the Rogue Mocha Porter and indulge in its decadent chocolaty goodness. Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker; just remember not to overdo it, or Hershey’s bars may never seem as good.

Emily Brightman can be reached at ebrightman@student.umass.edu.