John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Butler spoils near-sellout crowd in convincing win over UMass hoops

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

The fans did their part, but the Massachusetts men’s basketball team failed to return the favor.

In front of a crowd of 9,341 at the Mullins Center, UMass (18-10, 8-7 Atlantic 10) was dominated on the offensive glass and couldn’t find its stroke from 3-point range on Thursday night, as Butler fought its way to a 73-62 victory.

The Bulldogs (23-7, 10-5 A-10) grabbed 17 offensive rebounds while the Minutemen managed just 15 defensive boards, which led to a 17-5 edge in second-chance points for Butler.

UMass also hit just 4-of-18 from beyond the arc in a game it never led.

“We really couldn’t find our rhythm or our groove today,” Chaz Williams said.

The Minutemen’s inability to string defensive stops together prevented them from making a legitimate run in the second half. Rotnei Clarke overcame a shaky first half to drop 11 points in the second half on a 3-of-6 pace from 3-point land after missing all six of his attempts from long range in the first.

The closest UMass got in the second was an eight-point deficit with 14 minutes, five seconds left, while the Bulldogs’ lead reached as much as 16 with 6:49 to go and they led by double digits for the final 9:48.

Terrell Vinson scored 13 of his team-high 17 points in the second half, but no other Minuteman could get anything going on the offensive end after the break.

“They outplayed us from start to the finish,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “They were a better team today, and today they looked like a top-notch team.”

Chaz Williams was held in check virtually the entire game, finishing with eight points and eight assists while coughing up five turnovers. Butler guarded Williams with constant double-teams at the top of the key – particularly on the pick-and-roll sets – which threw off the rhythm of UMass’ half-court offense.

“They built a pretty great wall against me,” Williams said. “They were forcing me to get the ball out of my hands.”

The Minutemen’s inability to rebound kept them from getting out on the break, as the Bulldogs’ muscle in the paint and ability to grab long rebounds kept UMass from picking up the pace. Butler even held a 9-6 advantage in fast break points.

“Our game is transition,” Williams said, “and we weren’t really getting any transition buckets, so we couldn’t really wear them down on defense.”

It wasn’t entirely bad for Williams, as he led a 6-0 charge midway through the first half to cut Butler’s lead down to 19-18 with 8:07 left in the opening frame, but the Minutemen missed their next five shots over the next 4:44 – including three layups – and coughed up two turnovers as the deficit grew to 28-18.

The UMass faithful came out in full force for the largest non-sellout crowd in Mullins Center history. The student section was jam-packed as early as 40 minutes before tip-off, with officially 3,526 students in attendance. Some UMass fans had already exited the arena by the closing minutes.

But unlike their fans, the Minutemen didn’t show up in what was a critical game not only for its playoff implications but also for reinvigorating a fan base that has been slowly creeping its way back.

“We’ve been asking all year to get a sellout crowd or a great fan base, and today guys showed up,” Williams said of the fans. “We couldn’t ask for a better crowd, so it kind of hurt that we couldn’t go out there and perform the way we wanted to and usually do for the crowd.”

UMass doesn’t have time to dwell on the loss, as it travels to Rhode Island on Saturday afternoon for its regular season finale.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.

3 Responses to “Butler spoils near-sellout crowd in convincing win over UMass hoops”
  1. Ben C says:

For such a large crowd, last night was pretty pathetic. The student section was loud the first 5 minutes and then the noise just dropped (aside from the kid screaming “NO” during every free throw). The fans then left mid way through the second. Not surprised though. UMass fans have changed for the worse and last night was a good example.

2. John C '78 says:

When I was a student admission was free to b-ball and football games. What is the policy now?? Also, we could bring in all the beer, etc. that we wanted to. I bet that policy has changed.

3. Matt says:

When only 25% of those students actually care, that’s what happens.

Thanks to everyone who came out though. It was nice to finally see a good crowd.