UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass hoops survives in spite of rebounding woes, foul trouble

Courtesy of J. Anthony Roberts

NEW YORK – It took a sneaky Chaz Williams steal on the George Washington offensive end to save the Massachusetts men’s basketball team in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament.

Down by three with 12 seconds left, Colonials forward Patricio Garino corralled a long rebound on a 3-point miss – their 25th offensive board of the game – looking to dish the ball for one final heave to try and tie the game. But Williams came up behind Garino in the corner and knocked the ball loose and passed it up-court as GW was left to foul out of desperation, and two Williams free throws later, UMass stamped its ticket to the A-10 Quarterfinals with a 77-72 victory Thursday night at the Barclays Center.

The Minutemen (20-10) managed to win despite being outrebounded, 50-32 – 25-13 on the offensive glass – and only having seven players available for the final 2:48 after Terrell Vinson and Cady Lalanne fouled out.

GW (13–17) crashed to the rim early and often, grabbing second-chance looks and, in some occasions, third- and fourth-chance attempts, as UMass was caught staring at the rim when a shot went up instead of boxing out. The Colonials finished with 21 second-chance points.

“We have athletic guys, so sometimes we try to use our athleticism to go get the rebound instead of boxing out,” Williams said. “Coach killed us all week in practice about boxing out, but it still didn’t get through our thick heads right now. We know we’re gonna hear some more about it tonight.”

This isn’t the first time the Minutemen have been torched on the offensive glass. In their loss to Butler two weeks ago, the Bulldogs grabbed 17 offensive boards and had a 37-20 overall rebounding advantage.

UMass coach Derek Kellogg attributed some of Thursday’s rebounding woes to GW’s flex offense that, he said, constantly has three or four guys around the rim.

“That lends them to be a good offensive rebounding team, and I assume they practice that quite frequently,” Kellogg said. “We talked about (rebounding), we worked on it and we didn’t execute, so we probably have to go back and try some different things next time if we’re playing a rebounding team like them.”

The Minutemen were also forced to play without arguably its two best post players, Vinson and Lalanne, down the stretch. Vinson became a spectator for the final 5:14 and UMass faced a four-point deficit shortly after Lalanne fouled out, but still managed to escape with the victory. Vinson and Lalanne logged 18 and 15 minutes respectively.

UMass coach Derek Kellogg knows that his guys were “very fortunate” to escape with a victory despite being dominated on the glass and nursing serious foul trouble.

“If we have two guys that should have a lot of energy tomorrow night, it should be Cady and T.V. (Vinson),” Kellogg said. “And I thought getting outrebounded by 18, it was nice to come away with a victory, and that shows a team that’s maturing or has matured.”

With the win, the Minutemen move on to face the No. 3 seed Temple Friday at 9 p.m. The Owls just squeaked past UMass, 83-82, at the Mullins Center in the two sides’ only meeting of the season, but the Minutemen had Temple’s number in last year’s A-10 Quarterfinals, upsetting the then-top-ranked Owls, 77-71.

When asked what UMass will have to do to take down Temple, Williams was focused solely on stopping A-10 Player of the Year Khalif Wyatt. Wyatt led the conference in scoring with his 19.9 points per game.

“He’s an awesome player,” Williams said. “We’re just gonna have to stop him, and once we cut the head off the train, everything will start moving. So we’re just gonna have to control him and just stick to our game plan, and we should come out with a victory.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.