VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Late goal gives UMass win over Bryant

Before Sarah Pandolfi checked into the scoreless game late in the second half, Massachusetts women’s soccer coach Ed Matz instructed his freshman forward where to position herself in order to score.

In the 83rd minute, she listened to him.

Zoe Mervine/Collegian

Heading to the far post, Pandolfi hauled in a cross-field pass from the left sideline by teammate Jackie Bruno and headed the ball home to break the scoreless struggle and give the Minutewomen a 1-0 victory over Bryant University at home on Thursday.

“Before Sarah went in, I said, ‘you just need to get to the far post’ because I thought we were generating a lot of crosses,” Matz said. “I challenged her to do that, and she got on the end and scored.”

While the goal may have not gone in the way she intended, Pandolfi still emphasized the importance of getting in an offensive rhythm.

“I kind of thought the goalie was going to have it so I kind if turned my head and I hit it on the side of my head,” she said. “It takes us a while to score, but once we do, it really pumps us up and helps us out, even if it’s an accident.”

Coming out of halftime locked in a scoreless tie, the Minutewomen (4-5-1) took control of the game on both sides of the ball. In the second half, the UMass offense outshot the Bulldogs (4-6-0) 12-1, including a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks.

On the defensive end, the Minutewomen gave up only one shot in the final 45 minutes of the game, which came in the match’s final seconds.

Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Danielle Kriscenski made four saves – including a leaping tip over the cross bar and a diving stop in the first half – to register her second shutout of the season.

“I think in the first half, (Kriscenski) made two tremendous saves to keep us in the game,” Matz said. “And in the second half, our defense stepped up and played pretty well.”

Co-captains Lauren Skesavage and Grace Coombs also received high praises from Matz after the game. The fourth-year coach was impressed with Skesavage’s leadership on the defensive end and thought Coombs “played her best game of the year.”

With Thursday’s win, the Minuewomen have had consecutive victories for the first time this season.

Matz and his players understood the importance of gaining consistency heading into the start of Atlantic 10 play, which begins Sunday at Saint Joseph’s.

“It feels really good,” Pandolfi said of her team’s current two-game winning streak. “We got off to a rocky start. It helps us to know, starting A-10′s now, to go into those and to play our best.”

Matz echoed his player’s sentiment.

“Our goal was to be playing our best soccer going into the A-10′s, and I think we’re doing that;,” Matz said.“We just got to keep the momentum up.

“On Sunday things get a little more tense and little harder for us.Points are a little harder to come by, but we’ll continue.”

Joey Saade can be reached at Jsaade@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Jsaade1225.