The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

UMass women’s cross country ties for first at mini-meet

The Massachusetts women’s cross country team excelled in its shortest race of the season on Friday. The team placed first at the CCSU Mini-Meet alongside No. 4 Providence with 78 points in the three kilometer race.

The UMass harriers faced off against only 15 other squads. Among them, many teams did not field their best runners because of the unusually fast nature of the race as well as to prepare for the conference and regional championships coming up in the next few weeks. Providence, for example, did not field its top four runners from its last meet at Wisconsin.

Two of the Minutewomen’s best runners – freshmen Natalie Mako and Heather MacLean – did not compete either after dealing with injuries.
Nevertheless, the Minutewomen put forward a concentrated attack led by freshman Christine Davis, who finished third overall with a time of 10:15, just 12 seconds short of the course record. Katie Powers, a junior, finished five seconds behind Davis, good for ninth overall.

The biggest story for UMass this season has been the performance of junior Rachel Hilliard. Hilliard had been the fastest runner for the Minutewomen in each of their previous meets, but she finished third for the team this time with a time of 10:26. Senior Sarah Barrett and junior Alexandra Purdue-Smithe wrapped up the scoring for UMass, finishing 24th and 27th, respectively. Barrett came in at 10:36 with Purdue-Smithe just a second behind.

Even the Minutewomen’s sixth and seventh runners, Carly Zinner (10:42) and Katrina Martyn (10:45), finished well ahead of the majority of the field, which consisted of 137 runners. The recent consistency of this team is promising as UMass heads into the Atlantic-10 Championships on Saturday.

Arthur Hayden can be reached at awhayden@umass.edu.