Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass men’s basketball prevails over Bonnies with comeback effort

It wasn’t a conventional approach to a late-game possession, but then again, not much about the No. 19 Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s 73-68 victory over St. Bonaventure was.

When Trey Davis caught Sampson Carter’s pass off a crucial offensive rebound, he immediately holstered and fired, an act made even easier due to his unconventional method of shooting the ball from his hip on jump shots. Without hesitation or even a glance toward the top of the key despite the shot clock resetting, Davis launched his go-ahead 3-pointer, vaulting UMass ahead of the Bonnies 69-68 with just 67 ticks remaining on the clock.

While it was a high-risk, high-reward decision with the game hanging in the balance, his coach Derek Kellogg would tell him to do it all over again.

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

“Loved it,” Kellogg said on Davis’ decision. “I thought it was fantastic. … If he didn’t shoot it I was probably gonna run on the court because that’s what he does. I actually like him shooting, I’m telling him when he’s open every time, shoot it.”

Davis’ 3-pointer was the most crucial element to the Minutemen’s (14-1, 2-0 Atlantic 10) frenetic 26-8 scoring run to end the game. The comeback bid, built out of a mixture of desperation and an ability to finally run the floor offensively, began with 9 minutes, 50 seconds remaining and UMass trailing 60-47.

It ended with St. Bonaventure (11-5, 1-1 A-10) committing four straight turnovers to end the game against a mixture of mounting defensive pressure and crowd noise. The most notable came with UMass leading 71-68 and 10 seconds remaining. Chaz Williams stole the inbounds pass from  Bonnies guard Matthew Wright and quickly fed it to Raphiael Putney, who was fouled. Putney would hit the final two free throws.

For stretches in the second half, the Minutemen looked like a car attempting to maneuver up an icy hill without much success. Every time they cut the lead to single-digits, St. Bonaventure would respond with an opportune layup or come up with a loose ball. But as the game prolonged, the pace quickened.

“I felt like the pace of the game in the second half was a little better and least that was gonna give us an opportunity to maybe have a chance at the end,” Kellogg said. “That’s what we’re hoping for the way the game went.”

UMass cleared the initial hurdle with 7:46 to go on an alley-oop from Chaz Williams to Putney, who led the team with 17 points. On the ensuing inbounds play, Sampson Carter drew an offensive foul and the Minutemen turned it into a Cady Lalanne layup to make it 60-53. The exchange of events ignited a relatively dormant crowd and UMass never looked back.

Putney played an important role down the stretch on both ends of the floor. He grabbed eight rebounds and was the aggressor at the top of Kellogg’s press, a defense the team stayed in the majority of the game.

“It started on my defense,” Putney said. “I was trying to focus this whole entire week and coach kept telling me I’m one of the best defensive players in the country, so I just kept that in my mindset and I brought it today.”

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

His effort was needed on a day where points were at a premium. Williams scored just eight points on 1-of-7 shooting and only Carter and Lalanne joined Putney in double-figure scoring.

The real struggles appeared in the first half. UMass struggled to move the ball in a sloppy start and trailed 32-25 at halftime. The Minutemen shot just 30 percent in the half on 7-of-23 shooting and were in danger of trailing by 10 before Carter hit a long 3-pointer before the buzzer.

“We needed a bucket bad before the first half ended,” Carter said. “I was just happy to see it go through the net.”

The two teams combined to commit 37 turnovers and were whistled for 45 fouls. UMass struggled at times to contain Bonnies guard Charlon Kloof, who had 15 points and seven assists. St. Bonaventure center Youssou Ndoye recorded five blocks defensively.

Despite another lackluster start, the Minutemen acknowledged they’re getting strong efforts from most of their opponents. It comes with the territory of being nationally ranked and is expected to continue as conference play moves on.

“You saw it, they’re playing us,” Kellogg said. “They’re playing physical and tough. Our will is gonna have to overcome some of these teams.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli

One Response to “UMass men’s basketball prevails over Bonnies with comeback effort”
  1. Chris says:

This was a game they could not afford to lose, especially it being on TV.