Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Whipple, UMass football announce 2014 signees

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

Massachusetts football coach Mark Whipple put the finishing touches on a late recruiting push on Wednesday, officially announcing the 2014 class on National Signing Day.

In total, 18 players signed National Letters of Intent to play for UMass next season. Four more players—offensive lineman Anthony Fernandez, tight end Jordan Fiske, wide receiver Jalen Williams and quarterback Andrew Verboys—enrolled this semester at the University to begin taking spring classes. The Minutemen also announced that quarterback Blake Frohnapfel and wide receiver Alex Kenney are eligible to play immediately after transferring from other institutions.

Whipple preached the luxury of creating competition at multiple positions, something the entire coaching staff plans to create in Whipple’s first year at the helm. Despite having limited time to put a complete recruiting class together—Whipple was hired on Jan. 14—the 56-year-old coach was pleased with the outcome.

“We had a good day, we had a really good day,” he said. “As a tribute to the guys that are on staff and how hard we pushed and traveled, I would say (we) salvaged, but I think we got a bunch of good guys and good people that’ll really help us.”

Whipple specifically named both Frohnapfel and Kenney as notable players who could potentially impact the program. Frohnapfel, who has two years of eligibility remaining as a redshirt sophomore, will transfer from Marshall University, where he spent two seasons as a backup. He plans to graduate from there this spring with a degree in finance and economics.

Kenney has one season of eligibility remaining and will pursue his graduate degree from UMass once he earns his undergraduate from Pennsylvania State University this spring. The wide receiver caught 24 passes for 197 yards during his Nittany Lions career and was a teammate of quarterback Austin Whipple, Mark Whipple’s son.

“I think that headline guys that’ll help us right away are the two transfers,” Whipple said.

In total, four quarterbacks were added to the roster. In addition to Frohnapfel and Verboys, both Ross Comis and Randall West also signed letters of intent. The Minutemen also added 10 linemen in total. Dimitri Angelas, Dan DiNicola, Ryan Johnson, Liam Porter and Anthony Fernandez highlighted the offensive side while Chris Carter, Da’Sean Downey, Jake Largay, Josh Smiley and Jack Wynne will play on the defensive line.

“We thought we needed to add competition at every position,” Whipple said. “We need guys to compete. I’ve been happy with our guys that are here now, the little that I’ve seen of them. But you’ve got to fill the class, and as I said all along, it’s always been my philosophy that the best players play. I don’t care how old they are or where they’re from.”

Multiple players were holdovers from the Charley Molnar era. Of note, both West and running back J.T. Blyden were high-profile recruits for Molnar and remained committed to UMass, much Whipple’s delight.

“I thought the people that were here before I got here had done a good job,” he said. “There were a lot of good players that were committed and we’re happy to have here.”

UMass will also add defensive backs Jarrell Addo and Charan Singh, tight ends Jon Denton and Jean Sifrin and linebacker Ezekiel Edmonds into the mix for next season.

Whipple praised the role of current players on the team in the recruiting process, especially in the final weekend before signing day. Whipple and his staff crisscrossed the country in an attempt to visit with as many recruits as possible. But ultimately, the final selling point was the University itself and the upgraded facilities at McGuirk Stadium.

“There’s no question (the facilities) were the last thing they walked through,” Whipple said. “I think (the recruits) could see where the program’s headed, where administration has made an impact, and it certainly made an impact on those kids.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli