Kreusch, Hawkshaw stepping up for UMass field hockey

(Alec Zabrecky/Daily Collegian)
(Alec Zabrecky/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts field hockey team’s season could be best described as up and down. The Minutewomen struggled out of the gate and managed just a 2-7 record through their first nine games, but recently have responded with a four-game winning streak.

That inconsistency is due in part to the youthful composition of the team. With 15 underclassmen, including 10 freshmen, UMass coach Carla Tagliente recognizes that this abundance of younger players has led to some of the team’s inconsistent play.

“We’re young and we have kind of ridden that youth rollercoaster a bit,” Tagliente said. “We’ve had some excellent performances against top rated teams and some average performances against lower ranked teams.”

Two freshmen in particular, Melanie Kreusch and Sarah Hawkshaw, have carved out roles for themselves. Both international students, the freshmen have been a constant fixture of the Minutewomen squad. Both players have started all 14 games for UMass this season.

Kreusch joins the Minutewomen from Brussels, Belgium. The defender/midfielder provides steady play for the Minutewomen in the backfield and also leads the team with five goals.

“She’s stepped up into a big role,” Tagliente said. “I don’t think she’s come out of the game much, so to have her in and gaining that experience and performing how well she’s performed has been great.”

Despite playing as a defender and a midfielder, Kreusch still finds a way to contribute to the UMass attack, thanks to her role in penalty corner situations. Kreusch has tallied five goals this season, including a hat-trick against Saint Francis on Oct. 5, when all three goals came off penalty corners.

Hawkshaw came to Amherst by way of Dublin, Ireland. A midfielder, Hawkshaw has quietly shined as a top player for the Minutewomen this season.

“I don’t think the statistics quite reflect the impact she’s had on the game,” said Tagliente. “She has an involvement in the majority of our goals.”

Tagliente was quick to point out the offensive prowess of Hawkshaw’s game.

“She can shoot from anywhere in the circle. She’s always a threat,” Tagliente said. Hawkshaw has tallied four goals and two assists in her first season with the Minutewomen.

In addition to her skills on the offensive side of the ball, Tagliente gave high praise to Hawkshaw for the role she has played on defense for the Minutewomen.

“She is probably one of the best defensive strikers in college hockey,” Tagliente said. “She’s very disruptive up front.”

Both Hawkshaw and Kreusch have been unfazed by the transition to college field hockey.

“That doesn’t bother me too much because I’m used to playing with older girls,” said Hawkshaw. Kreusch echoed similar sentiments.

“Since I’ve been playing field hockey, I have always played with older girls so I’m used to it,” Kreusch said. “I have respect for the older girls and learn a lot from them, but I’ve been playing with older girls since I was young so I’m used to it.”

One source of stability for the freshmen has been senior captain Lauren Allymohamed. As an All-American and an international student herself, Allymohamed has helped Hawkshaw and Kreusch both on and off the field.

“They’re both playing really well,” Allymohamed said of the two freshmen. “They’ve both settled into the team really well and they’re definitely developing.”

The Minutewomen will need Kreusch, Hawkshaw, and Allymohamed to be at the top of their games as they approach the final five games of their season. Three of the five will be conference games, starting with a matchup at home against Davidson on Friday.

“Last five games, it’s just critical that we close out conference play well, make the A-10 tournament, and continue to improve,” Tagliente said. “If we can continue [to play well] we still stand in a good position to push for the NCAA tournament.”

Jamie Cushman can be reached at [email protected].