Ganjafest invades Amherst Saturday

That time of year has come once again. Spring is in full bloom, the campus ducks have begun their mating rituals, 4/20 is on the horizon and Extravaganja prepares to descend upon the town of Amherst.

Tomorrow will mark the nineteenth consecutive year of the hemp-fest known around the valley as Extravaganja. Organized by the University of Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coalition, the event centers around the celebration of cannabis culture, as well as protest of what they view as the “marijuana prohibition” that exists in the United States.

From noon until dusk Amherst Common will be transformed, lined with vendors, student organizations, and activist groups. The main attraction of the event, besides the liberal cannaboids which make their perennial appearance, will be the central stage featuring musicians and performers from across all genres. Reggae artists, rappers and acoustic guitarists are among the artists booked, but the headlining group of the event will be local band Primate Fiasco. Performing at the much-coveted 4:20 p.m. spot, Primate Fiasco is described as a “psychedelic Dixie-land jazz-funk experience” which, by all accounts, should not be missed.

Several speakers will be featured throughout the day as well, including state representative Dick Evans, who is currently backing legislation before the Massachusetts legislature to legalize the production and sale of marijuana.

The Cannabis Reform Coalition is a student organization dedicated to ending the “war on drugs” and reforming the way that our legal system deals with marijuana. While Extravaganja is their largest annual event, they are active throughout the year. The CRC worked directly with Evans in crafting the wording of his proposed bill, and in the past have launched campaigns to both petition for and raise awareness of cannabis usage rights.

Attractions provided by the CRC themselves include a DJ tent, as well as a free tie-dye station for attendees interested in leaving more colorfully than they arrived.

While possessions of small amounts of marijuana no longer carry criminal charges in this state, its possession and use are still illegal, making the large quantities typically smoked at Extravaganja a serious legal question. Yet for nearly two decades, pot enthusiasts have been smoking freely at this public event with relative impunity. Mollie Murnane, a senior officer in the CRC, explained the accord that the group has reached with the local police department.

“Every year we meet with the chief of police a few weeks prior to talk about it,” said Murnane. “We smoke as an effort of passive protest, and we are only allowed to smoke on the common.” She reminds celebrants, however, that the one-day peace treaty applies only to the use of marijuana. Attempts to sell any drugs of any kind will not be tolerated, and drinking at the event has often led to arrests.

Aside from attractions on the official agenda, festival-goers can expect to find exotic foods, purveyors of various legal herbs, and droves upon droves of colorful, crunchy characters. But above all, at this classic kick-off to the 4/20 weekend, expect the unexpected.

Andrew Sheridan can be reached at [email protected].