Duquesne blanks St. Joseph’s, 49ers in 1st place

The Duquesne men’s soccer team secured an unblemished home record (7-0-2) this year after defeating Atlantic 10 foe St. Joseph’s on Sunday, 5-0.

The Dukes (7-7-2, 4-2-1 A-10) have now won four straight games and during the streak have outscored opponents by an impressive 16-1 margin.

St. Joseph’s (2-13-0, 1-6-0 A-10) showed promise at the start of the day but yielded the first goal just23 minutes into play. Duquesne midfielder Derek Patrizio netted the score on a pass from Simon Gomez and Nathan McCann for his second goal this season – the only score of the half.

Duquesne took that momemtum and capitalized on it three minutes into the second half. Gomez extended the lead to 2-0 when Austin Lange and Nick Anderson fed him in front of the net. The Dukes added goals in the 51st, 66th and 71st minutes Joshua Patterson, Gomez, and Lange each netted goals, respectively.

Duquesne’s season concludes with road games against Richmond (3-12-1, 2-5-0 A-10) and George Washington (7-6-2, 5-2-0 A-10) while SJU will remain at home for contests against Fordham (9-6-1, 5-2-0 A-10) and La Salle (5-7-4, 3-1-3 A-10).

Charlotte looks to secure top seed

The Charlotte men’s soccer team will attempt to secure the No. 1 seed in the A-10 tournament this weekend when it travels to St. Louis for the finale to its regular season.

The 49ers (12-3-2, 5-1-2 A-10) currently sit atop the league standings with 17 points, two points more than both Fordham and George Washington. Charlotte has just one game remaining on its regular season slate while the Rams and Colonials both have two contests left to play.

A win against St. Louis (6-9-1, 4-4-0 A-10) this week would not necessarily guarantee a top seed for the 49ers, but it would certainly put pressure on Fordham and George Washington to try and keep pace.

Fordham finishes its season with games against SJU and Temple (8-8-0, 4-3-0 A-10) while George Washington takes on St. Bonaventure (4-10-3, 0-5-2 A-10) and Duquesne.

The final weekend of the season will certainly provide some excitement as these three teams will each vie for the top spot in the A-10 tournament.   

Patterson, Abaie honored

Duquesne’s Joshua Patterson and George Washington’s Zach Abaie were honored as Co-Conference Players of the Week on Monday as announced by the A-10 league office. Both players were instrumental to their respective teams’ success this past week.

Patterson, the A-10 leading goal scorer, led the Dukes to consecutive shutouts while earning his second straight Player of the Week honors. The junior forward totaled three goals and two assists during the week on his way to tallying eight points. Patterson also leads the A-10 in goals per game (0.56) and is second in the league in total points (21) and points per game (1.31).

Abaie’s performance this past week was equally as impressive, as the midfielder was instrumental in the Colonials two victories. Abaie notched two assists in a 3-0 victory over Massachusetts and securing two more assists in a 2-1 victory over Rhode Island.

Also receiving honors from the league office was URI freshman Matt Sykes as he took home the Rookie of the Week award. The Sheffield, England native has had a big impact for the Rams so far this season and leads the team in points (10) and assists (four).

Gregory Romagna can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter @MDC_Romagna.