A smoothie when it’s snowy

Living in a freezer over winter break prevents one from enjoying some of the finer things in life.

For instance, the smoothie – a healthy, tasty and refreshing liquid snack for when the weather gets warmer. Those heavenly textured, fruity delights have the ability to brighten even the murkiest of days. Smoothies are a delicious way to get daily servings of fruits and vegetables, and they’re quick, easy and convenient to make for even the most culinary-challenged college student. Don’t forget the tiny umbrellas.

The Smarten Up Smoothie

This smoothie is perfect for a study break. Mix one cup frozen strawberries, one cup vanilla frozen yogurt, three tablespoons chocolate sauce, three tablespoons peanut butter, one teaspoon of flaxseed oil and one tablespoon of lecithin granules. Not only does this smoothie pack a powerful flavor combo punch (peanut butter and strawberry – inconceivably good), the lecithin granules and flaxseed oil contain essential nutrients that aid in proper brain function.

Plus, when exams rear their ugly head and it’s hard to find a second to sit down and eat, this smart treat is loaded with carbs, protein, fiber, calcium and tons of other vitamins, minerals and nutrients to keep drinkers ticking – and nourished – this midterm or finals season. It’s genius in a cup.

Ginger Jolt Smoothie

Hate the taste of Pepto Bismol? Let this soothing smoothie cure what ails a queasy stomach. Blend one cored, peeled and sliced apple, one peeled and seeded lemon, one half cup of filtered water, one half cup of ice and one piece of fresh peeled and crushed ginger root about two inches in length.

The delicate flavors of the additional ingredients complement the ginger, while the latter ingredient eases discomfort from nausea and stomachache. Even if one is not feeling sick, it’s a light, refreshing anytime beverage filled with fiber, potassium and only 120 calories – happy healing.

Hangover Cure Smoothie

As far as bodily illness goes, hangovers for college students are more common than the cold. And their symptoms aren’t such that students ever acclimate to them. From the pounding head, Death Valley cotton mouth and the inevitable lethargy, hangover sufferers will turn to just about any outlet for a cure. And while most household hangover remedies are pretty gross (like most problems in life), there’s a smoothie solution.

Blend one half cup apple juice, the juice from one lemon, two apples, one banana, a small peeled piece of ginger root, half a teaspoon of dehydrated chamomile flowers and half a teaspoon of slippery elm powder. The ginger, chamomile and slippery elm powder all aid in relaxing the mind and body, reducing aches and pains and easing feelings of sickness. And it never hurts to get a heavy dose of hydration and fruit servings after a night of heavy intoxication. It’s a great way to keep drinking the next morning.

Sour Black Cherry Smoothie

Here’s a daring infusion for those who like sour as much as sweet. Blend one quarter cup cranberry juice, one cup pitted black cherries, one half cup raspberries, one third a cup of plain yogurt and four or five ice cubes until the mixture is entirely smooth throughout. The base of the yogurt, the sweetness of the raspberries and the tartness of black cherries and cranberry meld seamlessly together for an ever-evolving taste on the tongue. One can even add a little bit of sugar to sweeten the smoothie a bit, but this one is definitely for the sour lovers.

Green Smoothie Popsicle

Not only can smoothies be drunk, but they can also be enjoyed in frozen smoothie popsicle form. Welcome to the 21st century. Unlike most smoothies, drink makers are going to need more than just a blender and a game face for this recipe, so get some popsicle molds.

Blend two cups of spinach, two cups of frozen berries of your choice (try blackberries if feeling adventurous), two bananas and one cup water, and then pour the mixture into a popsicle mold and toss it in the freezer. In about an hour, there will be a frozen treat that’s as awesome tasting as it is nutritious. Never has spinach been so delectable.

Coco-nana Odinforce Deathbringer

Though this smoothie may not help one slip into a bikini this summer, its tropical fruitiness brings only the best feelings associated with the beach. Slice one banana and place in a blender with one cup of ice. Pour in coconut milk – the more poured, the creamier the beverage. If desired, add coconut shavings for added flavor and texture. Blend well until the banana slices and ice are thoroughly liquified. Drinkers will pretend they are digging their toes into the sand with this simple yet scrumptious banana coconut concoction.

Dave Coffey can be reached at [email protected]. Alyssa Creamer can be reached at [email protected].