Dodgers in Need of a Little Magic

Courtesy of WordPress.com

The Dodgers owner Frank McCourt picked his successor as owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Earvin “Magic” Johnson is buying the team for $2.15 billion, shattering the record for the most a sports franchise has ever sold for. The majority of Johnson’s investment in the team will be returned in television revenue but Magic and former Braves/Nationals President Stan Kasten made their goal for the team clear. They want to win.

Aside from SP Clayton Kershaw’s Cy Young award-winning season, there were not many storylines for LA in 2011. That’s going to change. This new ownership group wants to win, and they have the money to spend on premium players. LA only has $41 million committed to the year 2014. Most of that is going to Kershaw and outfielder Matt Kemp, two nice pieces to build around. The Dodgers are expected to make serious runs at both Cole Hamels and Matt Cain this offseason. Johnson has said he plans to be in touch with them at 12:01 the day teams can negotiate with free agents. Joey Votto hits the market after 2013. Dodger Blue is also expected to get back involved in the international market, an area they used to dominate but have backed off of the past couple years under Frank McCourt.

Being from Boston, Frank McCourt never fully understood the Dodgers tradition in Los Angeles. Following a successful few years from 2006-2009 things quickly got bad when Frank and his wife divorced. Things worsened this offseason, when the Angels took advantage of an open market by signing mega-star Albert Pujols in an attempt to win over the Los Angeles fan base. The move seemed to work, as the World Champion contender Angels have been the hot topic in southern California. That is, until the Dodgers got some Magic.

Magic Johnson is arguably the most popular sports figure in Los Angeles, along with Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully and former pitcher Sandy Koufax. His popularity is only expected to rise with his new role as part owner of LA’s beloved team. Johnson has said he will not be involved in the handling of players, leaving that to his GM and manager, but has said that he will be involved in other ways. Expect Magic to help recruit players to LA and also sell the Dodger brand. The new ownership group also aims to renovate Dodger Stadium once the sale is finalized. Dodger fans can expect to see improvements immediately, with the new budget giving the team flexibility needed for mid-season acquisitions.

The Dodgers may even make a run at the playoffs this year in the weak NL West. That’s ambitious, but it’s Spring training, so aren’t we supposed to be optimistic? With a little bit of magic, the Dodgers should be pretty optimistic about their future as well.

Brendan Tuma can be reached for comment at [email protected].