FBS preseason top 10 countdown: No. 9

MCT

Last week I began the preseason countdown with my No. 10 team in the country, the Michigan Wolverines. This week we move right along to No. 9:

9. Arkansas Razorbacks

2011 Record: 11-2 (6-2 SEC)

Bowl Game: Defeated Kansas State 29-16 in AT&T Cotton Bowl

Overview: Arkansas had a very successful year in 2011, yet relatively few people were aware of how good of a club they actually were. Unfortunately, that’s what happens when you have the top two teams in the country in your own division. The Southeastern Conference-West was clearly the best division in college football last year and the Razorbacks certainly contributed to that accolade as they were arguably the third best team in the nation. All of their success came without one of their most explosive weapons, running back Knile Davis, who was sidelined for the entirety of the season with a fractured ankle. Arkansas will have to overcome the distraction that former coach Bobby Petrino created this offseason when he crashed his motorcycle while riding with his young female “friend”.

Offensive Player to Watch: RB Knile Davis – Junior

As mentioned earlier, Davis was sidelined for the entire 2011-12 season with a fractured ankle, an injury that certainly dampened the championship aspirations of the Hogs. He was expected to have a huge year, as he was named to multiple preseason All-America and All-SEC teams and watch lists of prestigious awards such as the Doak Walker Award, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award. Coming back from injury however, Davis should be a beast; expect him to rush for over 1,000 yards this year, a dimension that will make Arkansas’ offense even more explosive.

Defensive Player to Watch: LB Alonzo Highsmith – Junior

Last year was Highsmith’s first experience in a big time college setting, as he was a junior college transfer for the Razorbacks out of Phoenix College. Even with his lack of experience on the big stage, Highsmith delivered in a big way during his first SEC season. The linebacker notched 80 total tackles (37 solo, 43 assisted) and had 4.5 sacks, making him the Hogs’ third leading tackler. Expect an even bigger impact from the junior as he is the top returning tackler from last year’s squad.

Key Games: September 15 vs. Alabama, November 10 @ South Carolina, November 23 vs. LSU

2012 Prediction: 9-3 (5-3 SEC)

Wins: Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Monroe, Rutgers, Texas A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Tulsa, Mississippi State

Losses: Alabama, South Carolina, LSU

Greg Romagna can be reached at [email protected].