6 Fall Fashion Must-Haves

Ellie Rulon-Miller/Collegian

Worldwide fashion weeks have come and gone as the summer has rolled through, forcing college fashionistas and fashionistos to find ways to incorporate the most highlighted fall trends of European designers without breaking their budgets or looking super awkward (c’mon, who actually wears anything off of the runway?). The good news is that these trends can easily be added to your wardrobe while accomplishing both of these goals.

The not-so-good news? Apocalypse fanatics and people who read too much into someone getting tired of writing down numbers are telling us that the world is going to end by the end of the year.

If it’s true, you’re going to want to take some notes because the last thing you want to be remembered as is the person who was wearing a frumpy Christmas sweater that matches the rest of your family when you die.

If the world does not end, you should still take notes because those family portraits are going to last longer than a lifetime.

Floral patterns

Floral and eccentric patterns were featured in almost every top designer’s lines during this summer’s fashion weeks. To go from couture to practical, women can wear sundresses with floral patterns or an evening gown that stands out with eccentric square or circular patterns. For men, it will be more of a challenge to incorporate floral and other patterns on a larger scale, so a patterned tie, pair of socks or pocket square will do the trick.

White is the new black

White is the new black. White fabrics graced the runway several times this year, showing that the color could be donned by anyone regardless of complexion or body type. For a sophisticated look, women can wear a white pencil skirt paired with a white, stylish blouse (or another color that complements the skirt) that will look both fashionable and professional enough for an internship or job interview. Men can rock a white blazer with a light undershirt and black pants or jeans and vice versa. Contrary to popular belief, wearing white after Labor Day is allowed.

Plaid, plaid and more plaid

This pattern used to get a bad rap because it only looked good on some people. The style has been rapidly picking up momentum, though, and designers are creating looks that can work for almost everyone now. For women, plaid jackets and overcoats are chic and flattering. Men should try casual plaid button-ups, which should be enough to bring out your inner lumberjack (think Alcide from “True Blood”). Be warned, however, that when it comes to plaid, you can definitely have too much of a good thing. Donning an outfit complete with a plaid shirt, pants, overcoat and even underwear is not cute.

Risks and suits

Men (and some women) should start taking risks with their suits. The days of the simple and sophisticated black suit will never be over, but changing the rules a bit can take you from looking like an everyday business man to looking like the man or woman every Fortune 500 company will be fighting for. Try a navy blue top with white pants or, if you’re really daring, the same suit (or other variation), but with shorts. The last look will work for taller individuals with naturally slimmer physiques, but anyone can still learn how to take risks with their suit and come out a winner. For a night out with friends, pair a plaid button down with a suit. This was in every lookbook during the fashion week season.

Simplicity

Get rid of the gaudy jewelry and unnecessary accessories. This fashion trend is all about relying on the power of your own facial features and your outfit rather than hiding yourself. Loading yourself up with 10 necklaces and five charm bracelets isn’t necessary for self-expression. Leave that to the cast of “Jerseylicious.” Instead, sport a watch and a bracelet or a watch and a necklace. Again, you can have too much of a good thing.

Wear your UMass attire

Not a single thing from the University store was featured in Paris or Milan, but nothing looks better on us Minutemen and Minutewomen than showing off our school pride. Whether you’re too tired to find other clothes or you’re going to the first football game of the season, you’re going to look hot in that maroon sweatshirt. The best part? This is a trend that lasts all year long and even more.

Stephen Margelony-Lajoie can be reached at [email protected].