La Salle extends winning streak to seven games, Dayton falls in overtime

The La Salle women’s soccer team extended its winning streak to seven games with a 2-1, come-from-behind road victory against Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday.

Explorers sophomore Anna Dolhansky netted the game-winning goal in the 83rd minute after receiving a long feed from classmate Maryam Huseini.

After being held scoreless for the majority of the game, La Salle (10-3-0, 4-0 Atlantic 10) got on the scoreboard in the 77th minute after defenseman Ashley Chilcoat headed in a rebounded shot to tie the game at 1-1.

The Rams (7-4-3, 2-2 A-10) struck first when senior Wendy Acosta nailed a shot to the far post in the 48th minute, giving VCU a 1-0 lead.

With the win, La Salle’s senior class consisting of Gabrielle Pakhtigian, Diana Allen,

Leigh Grey and Jourdan McVicker, became the school’s all-time winningest class, with a total of 46 wins together. They are also the Explorers’ only class to win at least 10 games in each of their seasons.

Dolhansky’s goal was her third game-winner in the last four games, previously scoring the clincher against Duquesne.

The Explorers sit atop the A-10 standings after surpassing Charlotte and Dayton.

La Salle plays next on Friday when it hosts A-10 foe George Washington. VCU returns back home to host Saint Louis on Friday.

Dayton falls to Butler in overtime

Butler protected its home turf on Friday by knocking off league-leading Dayton with a 3-2 overtime victory.

The game-winning goal came when Bulldogs forward Elise Kotsakis received a feed from freshman Sophia Maccagnone and kicked through the golden goal just eight minutes into the overtime frame.

Dayton senior Colleen Williams became the Flyers all-time leading scorer after scoring her league-leading 12th goal of the season in the 11th minute, giving Dayton a 1-0 advantage.

Butler (8-3-2, 2-1 A-10) tied the score at 1-1 just two minutes later, after a Stephanie Kaylor corner kick led to a Kelly Mahoney header for the equalizer.

Both teams traded goals before the half after Dayton midfielder Juliana Liberton scored in the 19th minute, and Maccagnone matched the score for the Bulldogs in the 40th minute.

Dayton and Butler were held scoreless in the second half despite putting up seven and five shots, respectively.

The match marked the first time in five games the Flyers failed to score over two goals in a single match.
Dayton added a victory over Saint Louis on Sunday, 1-0, to better its record to 9-4 overall and 3-1 in the A-10.

The Flyers return to action Saturday as they host Xavier, while Butler awaits a matchup with the Lady Musketeers on Sunday in Indianapolis.

Charlotte tops GW, remains unbeaten in A-10

Charlotte remained as one of only three undefeated teams in conference play with its 4-2 victory at George Washington on Saturday.

Three goals in the first half were enough to earn the 49ers (9-3-1, 3-0 A-10) the victory, despite being outscored, 2-1, and outshot, 8-3, by the Colonials (4-7-1, 0-3 A-10) in the second half.

Charlotte forward Lena Suarez struck first with a goal inside the top left post past Colonial goalkeeper Shannon Murphy in the 12th minute, giving her team a 1-0 advantage.

The 49ers extended their lead to 2-0 just eight minutes later after Jennifer Lee scored her first career collegiate goal in the 20th minute, firing a shot from seven yards out.

Adding Charlotte’s third goal before the half was freshman forward Alex Meyers, who headed in a long cross pass from Amanda Jones in the 37th minute, giving the 49ers a comfortable 3-0 lead at the intermission.

The Colonials finally got on the board in the 60th minute after Samie Cloutier kicked through a 20-footer past Charlotte goalkeeper Annika McHenry, reducing the deficit to 3-1.

Charlotte and GW each added one more goal in the final 16 minutes of play. Jones scored for the 49ers in the 75th minute and Colonials senior Adriana Moya tacked on the final goal of the game in the 80th minute.

The 49ers put their undefeated A-10 record on the line as they visit Fordham on Friday. George Washington looks for its first conference victory on the road against La Salle on Friday.

Joey Saade can be reached at [email protected].