Stay cool with five healthy smoothie recipes this spring

Nutritious, filling and most importantly, delicious smoothies are a great option for a quick snack. These smoothie recipes are perfect for breakfast, a post-work out snack, a quick refresher or an indulgent dessert.

Flickr/I Believe I Can Fry

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

This is a classic option. Throw in some frozen strawberries and bananas, along with vanilla yogurt, ice and a juice of your choice (orange, strawberry, and banana juice are all excellent choices). The secret ingredient in this smoothie is maple syrup – just a dash will be guaranteed to tickle your taste buds. This sweet smoothie is great for breakfast on a sunny day.

Tropical Smoothie

The tropical smoothie is tangy, jazzy and fun. Add orange juice, ice and vanilla yogurt to some frozen pineapple, mango and peach to create a refreshing snack. If you’d like, add a small amount of honey to soften the taste. This smoothie is great to take on the go as a quick and exciting pick-me-up.

Peanut Butter Smoothie

This smoothie is ideal for dessert on a warm summer day, and it is also extremely versatile. For a (mostly) healthy treat, blend a substantial amount of peanut butter with ice, frozen banana, chocolate syrup and almond milk. For a thicker smoothie, replace the almond milk with vanilla yogurt, or if you’re feeling really adventurous, replace it with vanilla or chocolate ice cream for a thicker and more decadent desert. A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg spices up this smoothie nicely.

Green Smoothie

Green smoothies are all the rage this season, and with good reason: they can be made with any combination of green ingredients and are chock full of nutrients. One combination of fruits and veggies for this smoothie is romaine lettuce, celery, cucumber, green pears and apples. Blend these ingredients with ice, vanilla yogurt (or Greek yogurt for a low-fat alternative) and a splash or lemon or lime juice. This smoothie is great as a light lunch or to replenish your energy after a workout.

Berry Smoothie

A berry smoothie is another classic and a perfect midday snack. Pick your favorite combination of frozen berries (such as strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) and mix them with ice, grape juice and vanilla yogurt. Add about a tablespoon of chocolate syrup to make this smoothie a little more delicious, if arguably a bit less healthy.

Elise Martorano can be reached at [email protected].