La Salle, Philadelphia and Fordham triumph

La Salle triumphs over Loyola

The La Salle women’s soccer team shut out Loyola 4-0 on Sunday, marking the team’s fourth straight victory. 

Jeff Bernstein/Daily Collegian

The triumphing Explorers now boast an Atlantic 10 Conference best 6-1-0 non-conference record.

La Salle forward Kelsey Haycook started the scoring early with her sixth goal of the season at the 9:45 mark in the first half. She later recorded her seventh goal in the second half via a rebound after a shot by teammate Emily Fenton bounced off the post. That goal gave the Explorers a 2-0  lead.

Fenton finished the game with two assists, both coming on goals by Haycook.

The Explorers’ offense secured the win with three second-half scores that all occurred within a fifteen minute span. On the defensive side, La Salle made it difficult for Loyola to net open shots. In total, the Explorers outshot the Loyola Greyhounds, 10-3.

La Salle’s next game will be against Connecticut on Thursday.

Saint Joseph’s falls to Philadelphia rivals

In a Sunday battle against its city counterpart, Pennsylvania defeated Saint Joseph’s, 1-0.

With this loss, the Hawks fell to 4-2-2, while Pennsylvania remained undefeated at 4-0-0; however, Saint Joseph’s still holds the second best non-conference record in the A-10.

The lone goal of the game came off the foot of Tahirih Nesmith, Pennsylvania midfielder, toward the end of the first half. Nesmith deflected the ball off a corner kick past the diving Hawks goaltender Lauren Jancuska.

Despite Nesmith’s goal, Jancuska recorded a game-high five saves for Saint Joseph’s. The Hawks’ offense, however, failed to back up her defensive effort.

The Quakers outshot the Hawks, 14-1. The Hawks’ best chance to score came in the 74th minute, when forward/ midfielder Erica Graziosi fired a shot that was saved. Aside from this close call, the Hawks did not even come close to reaching the back of the Quakers’ net.

Fordham blanks Vermont for second win

Behind three first-half goals, Fordham defeated Vermont 3-0 on Sunday.

The Fordham Rams improved to 2-4-1 for the season, and the Vermont Catamounts dropped to 2-4-0. Both of Fordham’s wins have come during its last three games, following a 0-3-1 start.  This game was also the team’s second shutout victory of the season.

The Rams’ first goal came 15 minutes into the game, courtesy of Nicol Natale, who received a pass from Kelley Alpaugh to net a short-distance goal.

Headers by Kelsey Dougherty Howard and Jessica Widmann accounted for the other two goals of the game, coming in the 32nd and 45th minute respectively.

Two goaltenders split duty for the Rams in their shutout win, which only saw one shot on goal from Vermont. In comparison, Fordham notched 10 shots on goal.

Vermont goaltender Ally Ramos finished the game with seven saves and held Fordham scoreless in the second half, but the three first-half goals provided the Rams all they needed for the victory.

Fordham’s next opponent will be against Providence on Friday.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected].