Recapping UMass club hockey season up to date

TAZphotos/Flickr

The Massachusetts’ club hockey team has already played six games since starting its season in late September. Although its record is 3-3, the majority of the games that the team has lost have been close contests.

The Minutemen opened their season on Sept. 28 when they traveled to Boston University. The Terriers scored five times against UMass en route to a win. UMass junior Harris Stone, however, found the net twice and sophomore Ryan Daigle also scored a goal. In addition, sophomore Steven Metayer had an assist.

A week la

ter, Boston College traveled to Amherst. Despite losing 2-1, UMass challenged an Eagles squad that has only lost one game. Senior Mike Spunt scored the Minutemen’s only goal, assisted by senior Reilly Cavanaugh and sophomore Miguel Rojas. Thomas Knox was in goal for the first period, but was replaced by Drew McLeman after letting in two goals.

UMass then won its first game of the season against Montclair State 6-4 in a high-scoring affair. Rojas had five points on the day as he scored two goals and had three assists. Junior Michael Defazio also had two goals and added two assists. Despite letting up four goals, sophomore goalie Luke Lepine managed to save 31 shots, resulting in an 0.886 save percentage.

In another close game, the Minutemen traveled to Marist College. UMass won 4-3 thanks to Rojas, who notched a goal and an assist. McLeman made 11 saves in net and played the entire game.

The Minutemen extended their winning streak to three games when they defeated Northeastern 5-3. Freshman Adam Kmetz had a career day as he scored four goals. McLeman had another strong performance, making 22 saves in net.

Saturday night, UMass lost 4-1 to Montclair State on the road. Daigle scored the Minutemen’s only goal, and despite saving 37 shots, Lepine let four goals reach the back of the net.

To date, UMass has six points in the Northeast American Collegiate Hockey Association Division II standings, which places them in the top half of the division. Montclair State, who the Minutemen previously beat, holds first place with 24 points.

On Friday, UMass will travel to Bryant and return to Amherst on Saturday, when it will host Keene State.

Matthew Zackman can be reached at [email protected]