Fall into winter with a vest

Cool weather has finally descended on Amherst, but Mother Nature can always throw a curveball. The best way to navigate the unpredictable transition between fall and winter is to layer up. A vest is the most versatile of layering options. With a multitude of colors, materials and style options, there is no single way to wear it. The vest was most popularly sported by Marty McFly in “Back to the Future,” so give a nod to the past and take a step toward the future with this timeless wardrobe staple.

vanessa_hutd/Flickr

Keep it slim

To avoid irritating questions, try to stay away from extremely puffy vests. Though the look comes with an absence of warmth for your arms, do not try to compensate with extra circumference. Think less Michelin Man and more modern. It should fit to be worn comfortably underneath a jacket.

Be color-conscious

To be loud or quiet, bold or subdued: That is the question. Color choice will help dictate how this piece functions in your wardrobe. A more subtle and neutral color, such as a navy blue or gritty gray, will go with pretty much anything. On the other hand, brighter colors might be right for those who wish to flex their fashion muscles a bit. Lands End’s Regular 600-Fill Down Vest ($49) comes in a great carrot shade that steps out just enough to be noticed without being overwhelming.

Reverse it

A great aspect about vests is that they are often reversible, and getting double what you pay for is always fantastic. British company Boden’s Reversible Vest ($60) is an excellent option, with solid navy on one side contrasting a nice washed blue and orange plaid on the other.

Pack in pattern or texture

The go-to pattern these days seems to be some form of plaid, and with vests, this is no exception. A classic, larger buffalo plaid is always a good choice—you can do as the lumberjacks do and stick with classic red and black. To stick with the season but go a little retro, try incorporating a bit of corduroy. It adds texture and comes in basic colors like beige and brown, or bolder shades like blue and orange. No matter what color you go for, the texture will be a great addition to a fashionable look.

This season, ditch the sleeves and grab a vest. Whether the goal is to look rad in plaid or to stand out from the crowd, this option is the definitive choice for effortless layering. No matter what color you choose, remember to keep it slim. Unlike a sweater, a vest has the advantage of not bunching up in the arms of your coat. Instead, it will work itself naturally into the ecosystem that is your winter outfit— you will turn heads for all the right reasons this winter. Just remember to try and keep your look more McFly and less Shrek.

Ryan Ford can be reached at [email protected].