A fresh start for Blue Wall

The new Blue Wall eatery opens for business on September 2 (Araz Havan/Daily Collegian).

The Blue Wall café is getting a fresh start this semester.

After a nine-month, $19 million renovation, the eatery is set to open Sept. 2, just in time for the first day of classes.

The revamped café combines the old Blue Wall, Marketplace and Hatch eateries into one location. The overall look is modern and sleek, with open views of the kitchens. According to David Eichstaedt, director of Retail Dining Services, it will serve high quality food made from locally sourced ingredients, and the majority of the food preparation will take place on site.

“That’s a big difference from the old Blue Wall,” Eichstaedt said. “In the old Blue Wall, there was a lot of prepared food that came in from a different kitchen. Now if you need fried chicken for a buffalo chicken salad, that’ll be made right here, in front of you.”

Despite the shift to local ingredients, Eichstaedt said prices will remain similar to, if not the same as prices at the old Blue Wall.

Although construction on the eatery is expected to be complete by the first day of classes, a crucial decision has yet to be made.

“Earlier in the year we had a naming contest and we narrowed it down to three finalists: Blue Wall, New Wall and Fusion,” Eichstaedt said. A Facebook poll, which closes Sept. 5, will decide the winner, and results will be announced at the café’s grand re-opening ceremony Sept. 9.

In the new eatery, which seats up to 850, patrons will be able to choose from 10 different stations, or “concepts,” as Eichsteadt called them. Among those stations are several that returning students may recognize.

Famous Famiglia will now serve pizza baked in a deck oven, which Eichstaedt said tends to produce a better pizza than the conveyor oven used in the old location. Another upgraded familiar is Tamales, which will now serve freshly baked tortillas and in-house marinated beef. Star Ginger and Paciugo Gelato will also be making a return to the new space, and students who have eaten at the Procrastination Station will recognize People’s Organic Coffee.

New stations include Green Fields, which will feature tossed-to-order salads and fresh wraps, and Wasabi, serving freshly rolled sushi. Deli Delish and The Grill will both serve sandwiches, but Deli Delish will offer a selection of signature toasted and untoasted sandwiches, and The Grill will serve burgers and milkshakes.

Another concept, Chef’s Table, features a vertical rotisserie that will offer a variety of roasted meats and world cuisines.

“It could be a Cubano sandwich with rotisserie pork, or Chinese noodles with some other type of meat. … There will be new specials every day,”

Yum! Bakery, in addition to offering baked goods, will prepare much of the bread and dough various other stations will need.

Additionally, an 11th station located across the concourse, called Harvest, will serve prepared meals in a similar fashion to Grab n’ Go.

According to Eichstaedt, the entire renovation was funded by Dining Services, with the help of a loan from the state.

Benjamin Zifkin can be reached at [email protected].