UMass field hockey wins Kennedy Cup in physical game with UMass Lowell

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian

“Go UMass” chants could be heard from both fan bases Friday afternoon at the new Gladchuk Field field hockey complex as the Massachusetts field hockey team played host to the UMass Lowell in the third annual Kennedy Cup.

Behind a balanced offensive effort in its first game played on the newly-renovated field adjacent to McGuirk Stadium, the Minutewomen (3-2) prevailed for the third straight year against the River Hawks, 4-3.

Named after John F. Kennedy, an alumnus of both universities, the Kennedy Cup is an annual matchup between the two Division I UMass campuses. The Cup first began in 2013 with the Minutewomen now winning the first three games.

UMass coach Carla Tagliente said she was pleased to take home the Kennedy Cup once again.

“Any competition or game you win is a positive. We started this three years ago and our girls look forward to playing in it,” Tagliente said. “The fact that there is a name behind it and a trophy to play for is fun for them. But, a (win) is a (win) and we are trying to get them one game at a time.”

Tagliente added that the Minutewomen prepare for the annual in-state game just like any other regular season matchup.

“I don’t think that either team is particularly familiar with the other. Some of our players might play together during the summer, but I wouldn’t say that it is a major program rivalry,” she said.

Sarah Hawkshaw, who scored a goal in Friday’s win, added she was pleased to return to the win column and move past .500, regardless of who the opponent was.

“It’s definitely uplifting to the team, it’s good to get a win and a bit of confidence as well,” Hawkshaw said.

Friday’s game was a physical, back-and-forth affair throughout. In the 66th minute of a 3-3 deadlock however, Hawkshaw converted on a reverse stick goal to give the Minutewomen a late 4-3 lead that held up.

The physicality and aggression was apparent from the initial whistle with numerous green cards assessed to both teams.

After the game, Tagliente said the game was a little too physical but she was happy to see UMass maintain control.

“The game got out of control more than it probably should have,” Tagliente said. “I think we did a good job of not retaliating and a good job of holding our ground. I think we were fortunate not to have any injuries. Our girls did a good job, but it was definitely a little out of hand.”

Hawkshaw added: “It was definitely a physical game. They tend to mark one-on-one so you’d always have a player on your side. The idea was to get to the ball before them so there was always someone on your back, which made it physical.”

UMass’ Hannah Farrell and Anne Dikstra both took simultaneous hits toward the end of the game but have no lingering issues, according to Tagliente.

“They are both fine, they just got roughed up a little,” Tagliente said.

The Minutewomen next take on Dartmouth Sunday in Amherst.

Matthew Zackman can be reached at [email protected]