Bernie Sanders returning to UMass for Monday rally at Mullins Center

(Shelby Ashline/Daily Collegian)
(Shelby Ashline/Daily Collegian)

One and a half months after Democratic presidential candidate and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders made his first stop in Amherst, Sanders will be back on campus at the University of Massachusetts Monday for a rally at Mullins Center.

According to the UMass for Bernie Sanders Facebook page, Sanders will discuss “a wide range of issues important to the people of Massachusetts, including making college affordable, getting big money out of politics and combating climate change.”

The rally, which is scheduled to open its doors at 4:30 p.m., takes place eight days before the Massachusetts presidential primary on Mar. 1.

The Massachusetts Daily Collegian first learned of the event from an email obtained Friday night that was sent to Mullins Center staff.

Sanders first spoke to UMass on Jan. 2 where more than 3,000 people assembled at the Fine Arts Center for his “A Future to Believe In” rally. Prior to his visit, UMass students voiced their support for Sanders in an Oct. 27 rally that drew approximately 300 people in front of Machmer Hall.

Monday’s event is free and open to the public, according to the Facebook page, but admission is “first come, first served.”

Those interested in attending the rally can RSVP here. More than 90 people have said they were attending the rally on the Facebook event, as of 8:30 p.m. Friday night.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.