IT to host open forum, discuss new acceptable use and confidentiality policies

Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian
(Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian)

The University of Massachusetts’ information technology department will host an open forum to discuss the revised Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources and Confidentiality of Institutional Information and Research Data policies Thursday, Feb. 4, a discussion that was previously scheduled for Jan. 27.

In a campus-wide email, Matthew Dalton, chief information security officer, said the policies were updated to better support the University’s strategic plan. He explained that the changes were approved only after “significant campus vetting.”

This forum is part of IT’s normal campus awareness and training practices regarding the implementation of new policies.

Dalton explained in an email to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian that “the (updated) Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy is a refresh of the previous version. Its biggest change is referencing all other campus policies.”

“The Confidentiality of Institutional Information and Research Data Policy sets expectations for individuals at the University who deal with confidential data, and begins to set up the structure for information governance,” Dalton added.

This forum is expected to cover the same topics discussed on Dec. 18.

According to Dalton, “We’ve had several forums on this before, and the questions have largely been around the information governance process (that’s still being developed) and user responsibilities under these policies.”

The forum will be held in Campus Center Room 174-76 from 1:30 to 3 p.m.

Marie MacCune can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MarieMacCune.