SGA presidential and vice presidential candidates to attend debate Thursday

(Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian)

(Shannon Broderick/Daily Collegian)

Candidates for president and vice president of the Student Government Association will debate one another Thursday night starting at 7 p.m. in the Cape Cod Lounge of the Student Union.

The SGA Executive Debate will be moderated by Daily Collegian staff.

Earlier this month, the SGA announced the president/vice president tickets for the 2016 election: Anthony Vitale/Nick Rampone, Khalif Nunnally-Rivera/Maija Hall and Adam Ladd/Max Teibel.

According to SGA Chancellor of Elections Lucas Gutterman, Adam Ladd and Max Teibel requested their ticket be dropped from the ballot Tuesday.

Josh Odam is the only student trustee candidate.

In a video interview with the Daily Collegian, Vitale, who is an economics major and currently serves as the SGA secretary of finance, said the “SGA is the number one institution on campus that is able to fight for students’ needs and represent what students need to make this an accessible university environment for themselves.”

While working with the SGA this year, Vitale found that there was little knowledge about the organization or what it could do for undergraduates among the general student body. He said this wasn’t a fault of the students but that of the SGA and their outreach efforts.

His running mate, Nick Rampone, majors in legal studies and economics and previously served as SGA undersecretary for RSO development and promotion before before leaving the position in January. He is also the president of the Theta Chi Fraternity.

Both emphasized their desire to work to help Registered Student Organizations. Vitale mentioned the challenge new RSOs face in getting approved, while Rampone said that the SGA is “notorious for being hung up on technicalities and formalities.”

In February, current President Sïonan Barrett vetoed a Senate motion to approve two prospective groups as RSOs during a Senate meeting. SGA members disagreed over the necessity of the veto.

When asked what kind of proposal from the Senate would invoke use of their veto power, Vitale said that anything that prohibited the way RSOs function would warrant one.

The Nunnally-Rivera/Hall ticket was not immediately available for an interview. According to their campaign website, the pair’s “vision is to ensure that the Student Government Association works for the safety, benefit and well-being of all current and prospective students.

Nunnally-Rivera is a geography major and current SGA secretary of diversity. Maija Hall studies sociology and is the current president of the Black Student Union.

The ticket’s platform points include “recruitment/retention of students of color ​and students from low-income communities,” “adequate resources for non-binary and LGBTQIA students” and “addressing gender-based violence and increased support for survivors.”

The pair is running under the campaign slogan, “Nunnally Hall for All.”

Marie MacCune can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MarieMacCune.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story stated that Rampone still worked as an undersecretary for the SGA. Rampone left his position in January, and the story has been updated to reflect that. 

2 Comments

2 Responses to “SGA presidential and vice presidential candidates to attend debate Thursday”

1. Kendall on March 10th, 2016 11:46 am

“His running mate, Nick Rampone, majors in legal studies and economics while serving as SGA undersecretary for development and promotion.” Nick quit in January, this should be corrected in both this article and the video, as it is both misinformation and misleading to voters.

[Reply]

2. Mark Chiarelli on March 10th, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks, Kendall. The post has been updated to reflect the change. Also, as a heads up, your website still lists Rampone as an undersecretary, which is misleading to voters as well.

[Reply]

• SGA presidential and vice presidential candidates to attend debate Thursday

Town of Amherst dedicates new trail in honor of Joseph G. Gavin Jr.

UMass researchers reduce population of invasive moth species

Police Log: Friday, Sept. 14 – Sunday, Sept. 16

A-10 men’s soccer notebook: No. 15 Fordham earns draw against Marist

Ryan Bamford discusses state of UMass athletics

An expanded role for Rebeca Frisk has meant more success for UMass women’s soccer

UMass looks to prove rankings wrong in A-10 opener vs. Duquesne

Fighting fake news starts with you

Businesses like Amazon shouldn’t be at the Student Activities Expo

Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’ offers more than your average horror story