Thousands attend annual Extravaganja event in Northampton

By Dan Curtin

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian (Photo from  2015 Extravaganja in Amherst)

Thousands of people came to the Three County Fairgrounds in Northampton on Saturday to see live musical performances and to support the cause of legalizing cannabis at the 25th annual Extravaganja.

The University of Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coalition hosted the event, sponsored by Wildside Smokeshop, the Northeastern Institute of Cannabis, Social High and Haven Body Arts. Police Chief of Northampton Jody Casper warned at the start of the event that marijuana is not legal and that the event would not get out of control.

Security stood at the gates checking people coming in for alcohol, weapons and other substances, although attendees were allowed to bring cannabis products in.

The event had a large presence of Northampton Police Officers and members of the University of Massachusetts Police Department assisting the paid security by helping direct traffic and issuing citations when necessary. The UMass CRC collaborated with police to help insure a safe and successful rally for the thousands of people in attendance, said Nikki Striar of the Coalition in an email.

This was the event’s first year of being held at the Three County Fairgrounds after years of being held in downtown Amherst for many years. The location changed due to a need for a venue with the capabilities to handle a larger crowd, as Amherst refused to issue a permit for the event this year.

Many people were openly smoking marijuana or using other forms of the drug such as cannabis extracts and edibles.

People were also dancing in front of the stage and listening to the live music. UMass student Dusty (editors note: real name Dustin) Smith, a junior public health major said he attended the event to see the music performers.

“I came out for Shokazoba.” Smith said. “They’re a sweet band.”

Performers for this year’s Extravaganja included Alchemystics, Ballads & Softcore Porn, Roots of Creation, Llama Lasagne, Crash & The Boys, and this year’s winner of Battle of the Bands: Shokazoba, according to the event’s Facebook page.

The crowd had a relaxed atmosphere as people sat on blankets listening to the bands and speakers. The event had many different vendors with a wide array of items including glass pipes and other smoking products, and even specialty items like cannabis soaps.

The UMass CRC helped organize and facilitate the events permits and fees, private security, trash cleanup and other organizational aspects of Extravaganja. The group had reached almost 3,500 dollars on the minute fund that was made for the event, which ended at 7 p.m. on Sunday.

The event had many speakers passionately urging the crowd to help support the legalization of marijuana.

The group Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol has campaigned for a regulation to legalize and regulate adult ownership of marijuana and promoted a statewide ballot initiative for this purpose.

Dan Curtin can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @dmcurtin96.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Thousands attend annual Extravaganja event in Northampton”

1. Jake Anderson on May 4th, 2016 6:17 pm

If it involves music, people are going to go to it; the planners behind this event were smart. I attended with a colleague who managed the security for the event. The turnout was larger than I expected, but as the student mentioned, the music was good.

2. Melissa Miner on April 17th, 2017 10:43 pm

I’ve attended this a few times. I was there last year, for the first extravaGanja at three fair grounds. It was even more amazing at its new home, welcoming thousands more fellow smokers…. it’s always chill, people are awesome, calm, dancing, singing, laughing. (all the best things in life really) Last year with such a big crowd, the lines for good and bathroom were long, but there was no BS, everyone acted exactly like pot heads act… civil, polite, friendly etc… I also had read an article a couple days later, saying out of over 10,000 people, there was only 1 arrest, and that guy was drunk… no need to drink!!!! No hangovers, no DUIs, no awful decisions, no death etc when you smoke…. it proves itself really..

• Thousands attend annual Extravaganja event in Northampton

The Collegian News Hour S2 E7: Election results and protests around Amherst

Blue wave hits Massachusetts, misses governor’s office

Police Logs: Friday, Nov. 2 – Sunday, Nov. 4

The Collegian News Hour S2 E6: Melville hall vandalism and the Pittsburgh shooting vigil

Police Logs: Friday, Oct. 26 – Sunday, Oct. 28

The Collegian News Hour S2 E5: Mass. gubernatorial, senate races and ballot questions

Halloween Fest brings Amherst community together

Lt. Gov. nominee Palfrey looking for large student turn out in upcoming election

UMass holds a meet the candidates forum for upcoming Town Council elections

Smith College holds colloquium on gun violence in America