Three weeks in, and two UMass fraternities under suspension

(Daily Collegian Archives)

It’s only rush week, but the University of Massachusetts Greek life has caused commotion outside of what can be considered the normal weekend festivities.

The University has taken disciplinary action against two fraternities, Phi Sigma Kappa and Theta Chi as they both have been placed under interim suspension, according to UMass spokesperson Ed Blaguszewski.

Phi Sigma Kappa was placed on suspension as the University is investigating a potential violation of the Code of Student Conduct related to a reported disturbance outside the house after the conclusion of a party. As a result, the fraternity is restricted from hosting or sponsoring activities at its house on North Pleasant Street.

In the early morning of Sunday, Sept. 10, 17-year-old Diovanni Aquino sustained injuries when a part of his ear was bitten off. Three days after the incident, Aquino went to Facebook to tell what happened as well as show pictures of his injuries.

“To anyone who ask[ed] what happen[ed], three men from UMass Amherst jumped my sister…after knocking two of those three men out their friend tackled me when I wasn’t looking and bit my ear off,” Aquino said in his post. “We’re still trying to find the guy who did it… but I remember his face. No matter what happen[s] this night the violence is disgusting and I will do anything to protect my family and those I care about.”

According to an article from MassLive, “seven officers responded to call of a fight in the Phi Sigma Kappa parking lot…after about 2 a.m. Sunday. Police reported a few hundred people were fleeing as police arrived.”

A fraternity house only about a minute away from Phi Sigma Kappa, Theta Chi has also been placed on interim suspension following a party on Saturday, Sept. 16 at its residence on North Pleasant Street. The University is investigating a potential violation of the Code of Student Conduct.

“The University immediately responds to situations of concern and potential violations of University policy involving fraternities and sororities, taking these situations very seriously. It works closely with fraternities and sororities on strategies to make them successful student organizations,” Blaguszeuski said.

The Amherst Police Department said both of the cases are still under investigation and therefore they have no comment at this time.

The two fraternities’ incidents were also accompanied by a death of a 20-year-old who does not attend UMass, on Fearing Street Saturday, Sept. 16. In the D.A.’s office released statement, “witnesses reported that the man…had attended a party on North Pleasant Street earlier in the evening.”

According to the University website, 5.5 percent of the undergraduate population are involved in the over 40 fraternities and sororities on campus.

The news staff of the Daily Collegian can be reached at [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Three weeks in, and two UMass fraternities under suspension”

1. Nicholas Chavez on September 25th, 2017 9:51 am

Unfortunately, somewhat predictable shenanigans- Phi Sig is quite literally an animal house- or at least consistently demonstrated as such when I was the RA of Theta Chi for 3 years. Pretty much EVERY TIME I had a fight in the parking lot or a serious incident that affected Theta Chi, it was directly because of Phi Sig.

I question why the Theta Chi house is pictured here, when the Phi Sig house is only 50 feet to the right?? There are two separate incidents lumped into one article, one much more serious than the other (or at least with much more information reported).

2. Jake Calkins on September 25th, 2017 10:07 am

Web photo choice was simply based on photo availability, nothing more.

• Three weeks in, and two UMass fraternities under suspension

Malcolm X文化中心举办佛罗伦萨镇废奴主义历史的演讲

SGA parla del prezzo del nuovo restauro della Student Union

Matt Murray earns first shutout of the season against UConn

UMass Baseball heads to Central Connecticut State for opening three game series

UMass beats UConn 3-0 for program-record 16th Hockey East win

UMass overpowered all around, falls to No. 1 B.C.

Otto B. de UMass nous parle de son art, de ses inspirations et de son approche iconoclaste du concert en direct

UMass und Hampshire verbinden: warum es Sinn macht

UDems discuss Israeli-American politics in current U.S. democracy

Slow start, lackluster aggression sink UMass women’s basketball in loss against George Washington