CAA notebook: Drexel defeats Providence in double-overtime

Drexel sits in second place in Colonial Athletic Association

By Timothy Flaherty, Collegian Correspondent

The Drexel men’s lacrosse team prevailed in a nail-biter over Providence on Saturday, winning 11-10 in double overtime.

To start the fourth quarter, the Friars (3-6) tied it up at nine with a goal from Damon Currie. Drexel (4-4) quickly fired back to take the lead, however, as Nick Fox notched his third of the game with 10:50 left on the clock.

Providence was able to even the score with 4:43 left with a goal from Nick Hatzipetrakos, and the game remained tied as the fourth quarter came to an end, sending it to overtime.

While the first frame of overtime was scoreless, the Dragons ended the game abruptly with a goal on their first possession of the second overtime when Reid Bowering fed Marshal King, who buried it past Friar goalie Tate Boyce to give the Dragons the win.

To start the game, the Friars brought the energy early, establishing a 2-0 lead during the first seven minutes of the first quarter, and ultimately ended the first with a 3-1 lead.

Drexel had to play from behind, down 7-3 with three minutes left in the first half after a goal from Providence’s Nick Shaw.

A goal from Fox, coming off a helper from the stick of Bowering, shortened the deficit to three. Jake O’Donnell cut it to two just before the end of the half, capitalizing off a Friar penalty and burying it in the top corner from point-blank range.

Drexel carried that momentum into the second half, scoring three straight goals and taking their first lead of the game (8-7) with just over two minutes remaining in the third quarter.

Bowering and Mathew Varian led the Dragons as they each picked up five points in the game.

Drexel will close out their three-game home stand against UMass on Saturday afternoon. The Minutemen stand at the top of the conference standings, with a one game lead over the Dragons.

Fairfield falls in overtime to No. 8 Villanova

The Fairfield men’s lacrosse team nearly pulled off the upset over No. 8 Villanova, but the Wildcats were able to escape with a 13-12 win.

The Stag offense came alive in the second half. Trailing 6-2, Fairfield (3-7) scored seven of the first nine goals to gain the lead with 13:30 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Villanova (7-2) would answer with three goals of its own, and would take a two-goal lead with under five minutes remaining in the final frame off a goal from Danny Seibel. The game once again went back and forth for the next few minutes, and the Wildcats found themselves with a 12-10 lead with just 1:28 left in regulation.

The Stags would not quit and closed regulation with two quick goals from Joe Rodrigues and Dylan Beckwith, tying the game at 12 with just 56 seconds remaining.

Villanova ended the game just 33 seconds into the overtime period off of a goal from Seibel, his sixth of the game.

Fairfield opened up the scoring in the first quarter with a goal from attackman Drew Murray. Following that, the game remained scoreless for the next 11 minutes before the Wildcats tied it up after Seibel’s first goal.

The Stags answered quickly in the second quarter with a goal from Jack Brennan, leaving the score at 2-1. They were unable to capitalize off of the momentum and were left scoreless throughout the remainder of the frame, while the Wildcats scored five unanswered.

Fairfield looks to rebound Saturday, facing its first in-conference opponent with a matchup against Delaware.

Timothy Flaherty can be reached at [email protected].