University and town prepare for annual Blarney Blowout

UMass is working hard to prevent chaos

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

By Abigail Charpentier, Assistant News Editor

With Blarney Blowout quickly approaching, the University of Massachusetts and surrounding towns are working hard to try and create a safe environment for students and community members.

During Blarney, large groups of students celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the weekend before spring break by day drinking in local bars and off-campus housing complexes. In 2014, 55 people were arrested and several were injured. Since then, UMass has worked closely with the town of Amherst to try to prevent arrests as well as property damage.

According to Mary Dettloff, deputy director of news and media relations, the University has a “very comprehensive plan in place, similar to past years, that has proven to be successful.”

Dettloff said, “It includes outreach to the town of Amherst and local businesses and property managers, increased police presence in the town of Amherst and the Mullins Live event.”

Mullins Live is a free concert for UMass students as an alternative activity during Blarney that was first held in 2015. This year’s lineup includes 21 Savage, GoldLink and Big Sean. As of Tuesday at noon, about 4,500 tickets had been given out, according to Dettloff. In a tweet from the Mullins Center, it is predicted 100 percent of the tickets will be given out by Wednesday or Thursday.

In a Daily Hampshire Gazette article, Amherst Police Chief Scott Livingstone said he feels “really confident about where we are” in regard to preparing for this weekend. Livingstone explained how about 150 to 200 officers from surrounding towns will be placed around Amherst as well as two K-9 units.

According to the Gazette, “Many of the officers, with detail costs covered entirely by UMass, will be positioned in areas where off-campus incidents have occurred, including North Amherst at Townehouse Apartments and Hobart Lane, next to the campus on Phillips and Fearing streets, and on lower Main Street.”

In addition to an increased police presence, the campus will issue a parking ban and put guest restrictions in place for residence halls.

From Thursday, March 1 at 8 p.m., to Sunday, March 4 at 11 p.m., non-UMass guests will not be permitted in residence halls. Students will still be able to sign in up to four UMass students as guests. UMass considers “any person who is not a resident of the hall” a guest.

In an email sent out to students on Tuesday from Parking Services, only UMass students with parking permits will be able to access parking lots on campus this weekend.

“Parking restrictions are in effect from 5 p.m. Friday, March 2, through 5 p.m. Sunday, March 4. During these dates, all campus parking lots will be considered 24-hour restricted lots. Vehicles parking on campus without a valid UMass Amherst parking permit are subject to ticketing and/or towing,” the email stated.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “University and town prepare for annual Blarney Blowout”

1. Ed Cutting on March 1st, 2018 10:31 am

“Many of the officers, with detail costs covered entirely by UMass, will be positioned in areas where off-campus incidents have occurred, including North Amherst at Townehouse Apartments and Hobart Lane, next to the campus on Phillips and Fearing streets, and on lower Main Street.”
    .
    Why aren’t the slumlords being asked to pay for these cops?
    They, and the town, benefit from the high cost/low quality housing and they should be paying to police it.

2. Fartacus on March 2nd, 2018 5:38 am

100% agree! And since these slumlords make hella cash, the should pay for fines too for clean up.

3. jimbo on March 2nd, 2018 1:17 pm

Fartacus.. lol

• University and town prepare for annual Blarney Blowout

Paparo: Signing with Premier Lacrosse League a “simple decision”

UMass softball’s seniors go out in style

UMass’ season ends in the A-10 tournament with 8-2 loss to Fordham

With its back to the wall, UMass delivers against Saint Louis

Minutewomen struggle in opening loss against GW, rally back to beat St. Louis in elimination bracket

Minutewomen seeking redemption in Atlantic 10 Tournament

UMass softball looks to win first A-10 tournament since 2012

UMass has season finale rained out after splitting double header with George Mason

‘Not Backing Down’ panel draws in hundreds of attendees despite legal controversy

UMass Permaculture Gardens available online in 360-degree view