A-10 women’s lacrosse notebook: George Mason extends win streak to four with win over La Salle

Patriots move to 2-0 in conference

The George Mason women’s lacrosse team finished up its five-game road trip on Saturday with a 12-11 win over La Salle.

After La Salle (4-6, 0-2 A-10) opened up the scoring two minutes into the first half with a goal from Bridget Ruskey, the two teams went back and forth trading goals for much of the period before Mason (8-2, 2-0 A-10) scored four straight and found itself up by three, the largest lead in the game. The Explorers fought back and gained momentum, scoring five unanswered and taking an 8-6 lead into the second half.

Mason brought the intensity early in the second half, scoring three quick goals to take a one-goal lead. The first two goals came off the stick of senior Lindsey Tangeman, followed by a goal from Corinne Wessels, leaving the score deadlocked at 10 as the two teams were unable to score for the next 14 minutes.

With just under three minutes left, Hailey Johnson found the back of the net, putting the Patriots up by one.

Shortly after, Wessels scored the eventual game winner with 1:19 to go.

La Salle was able to fire back quickly and cut the deficit to one with 22 seconds remaining, but was unable to tie it up after Mason won the ensuing face-off and ran the clock out.

Saturday’s win for the Patriots increases their winning streak to four, as they improve to 2-0 in conference play and La Salle falls to 0-2.

Richmond dominates Duquesne in A-10 Matchup

Richmond remained perfect in A-10 play with a dominant 19-10 win over Duquesne on Saturday afternoon.

The story of the game was a stellar performance from Spider senior Kim Egizi, who notched a whopping eight goals on the day, a career high for her. She also contributed with an assist, ending the afternoon with nine points.

Marissa Brown also performed well for the Spiders, scoring five goals and picking up five assists.

The first half started in Richmond’s favor as Brown and Katie Trainer scored two early goals. However, the Dukes (3-6, 1-1 A-10) were able to battle back with three quick goals of their own.

The next 10 minutes of the half were dominated by Richmond (8-2, 2-0 A-10), as the team scored four more and ended the half up 8-4.

Egizi continued to shine in the second half, picking up back-to-back goals twice to tie her career high of seven. This was followed by a goal from junior Katie Sciandra, increasing the Spiders’ lead to 15-9.

The deficit was too much for Duquesne to overcome, as Richmond rolled through the Dukes for the remainder of regulation, closing out a 19-10 victory.

With the win, Richmond is now tied for first in the conference, while Duquesne sits in the bottom half of the table.

Timothy Flaherty can be reached at [email protected].