Malik Hines to utilize NCAA graduate transfer exemption, will not return for senior year

Hines started 32 of 33 games last season

By Thomas Johnston, Assistant Sports Editor

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team will be without one of its starting big men next season, as Malik Hines will utilize the NCAA graduate transfer exemption rule and not return for his senior year with the Minutemen.

The junior was a key player for UMass this past season, starting 32 of 33 games and averaging nine points and six rebounds. His sophomore year, Hines started five games and appeared in 16 games as a freshman.

The announcement was made via tweet from the UMass men’s basketball Twitter account.

“I want to thank the University of Massachusetts and everyone in the community for their support over the last four years,” Hines said via UMass Athletics. “Thank you to the UMass basketball fans for allowing me to represent this institution on and off the court. I appreciate all the support from our coaches, my teammates over the years and those who help our program.”

Hines plans to earn his undergraduate degree in sociology this summer, allowing him to exert the transfer exemption.

“We are so proud of Malik for the work he has accomplished in the classroom during his career at UMass,” UMass head coach Matt McCall said via UMass Athletics. “He is a tremendous person and it was a joy to work with him this past year. We wish him the best in everything he does following his UMass career.”

As of now, the Minutemen will return Rashaan Holloway, Chris Baldwin and Khalea Turner-Morris to the big man rotation next season. Rutgers transfer Jonathan Laurent will help pick up the minutes lost from Hines.

Thomas Johnston can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @TJ__Johnston.