A-10 men’s soccer notebook: No. 15 Fordham earns draw against Marist

Rams score in 86th minute to tie the game up
(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

Fordham went into double overtime against Marist at Tenney Stadium in Poughkeepsie, New York Wednesday, with the game closing in a 1-1 tie.

The first half was plagued with rain delays and the weather did not do either team any favors, as after 45 minutes, the game remained scoreless.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, the Red Foxes (1-3-1) opened the game up by capitalizing on a turnover by the Rams (3-0-2). Allen Gavilanes intercepted a pass intended for the Fordham goalkeeper Rashid Nuhu and proceeded to chip the ball to himself over Nuhu, heading the ball into an empty net for his first of the season.

Fordham would equalize in the final minutes of regulation. In the 86th minute, Marist committed a foul which led to a free kick for the Rams. Paul Makaj collected the kick, tearing a shot from deep back, only to be stopped, but Joergen Oland was there to collect the rebound and put the tying goal home.

During overtime, neither team was able to capitalize. Both teams got off almost an even amount of shots, with Fordham getting seven shots on net to the Red Foxes’ six.

The Rams will be in action next on Tuesday taking on Manhattan while Marist will travel to Rutgers to take on the Scarlet Knights.

Saint Joseph’s falls to Manhattan

Saint Joseph’s traveled across the state to take on Manhattan, but did not get the result it was looking for, falling to the Jaspers 2-0.

After a scoreless first half, Manhattan (6-1) was hungry for a goal and got one seven minutes into the second half with Adrien Awana putting one home for the third time this season off a free kick in front of the box.

The Jaspers scored their second goal and sealed the victory in the 75th minute. Senior Troy Carrington received a long ball and beat a Hawk defender before putting it the bottom left corner of the net to extend the Manhattan lead to 2-0.

Saint Joe’s hopes to get back on track when it returns home to face the winless Virginia Military Institute.

St. Bonaventure’s defense tells the story

It’s been a while since St. Bonaventure has allowed a goal. The Bonnies have shut out opponents in their last four games, including a 1-0 defeat over Niagara on Saturday.

St. Bonaventure (3-1-1) needed just two shots on goal to win the game, getting one past Purple Eagle goalie Steve Casey.

In the 24th minute, Niagara midfielder Luca Pacheco was awarded a penalty kick due to a handball in the box, but his shot went wide.

After a scoreless first half, the Bonnies started the second strong, being awarded multiple corner kicks in the first few minutes of play, but they were unable to capitalize on them.

It wasn’t until the 83rd minute when St. Bonaventure finally found the net. Sophomore Shea Curry sent a through ball to Kosi Nwafornso, which led to him being fouled in the box. Nwafornso didn’t let his opportunity go to waste as he buried it for his fourth goal this season, solidifying the victory.

The Bonnies stay at home for their next game taking on St. Francis. Niagara faces off next with Cornell.

Sam Dixon can be reached at [email protected].