Notebook: Lock Haven, Saint Joseph’s crush non-conference opponents

Saint Joseph’s bounces back from first defeat

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

By Thomas Haines, Assistant Sports Editor

Senior Alyscia Smith scored three goals to stake the Lock Haven field hockey team to a commanding lead, as the Bald Eagles cruised to a 6-1 win over Colgate on Sunday.

Smith, who came into the game with one goal on the season, put Lock Haven (4-2) on the board first with a low shot off of a penalty corner in the sixth minute. Her second goal, just under four minutes later, came on Lock Haven’s fifth penalty corner of the game.

After Colgate stopped the bleeding for the rest of the first half, Smith’s third goal came on a deflection off a Raiders defender following another penalty corner to extend the lead to 3-0. That proved to be more than enough for the Bald Eagles to seal up the win.

After the game, Smith was named the Atlantic 10 Co-Player of the Week for her efforts.

In the final 12 minutes of the first half, holding onto a 2-0 lead, the Bald Eagles took six penalty corners and six shots, but Raiders goalkeeper Emma Goldberg made five saves and defender Olivia Krogermeier recorded a defensive save to hold them off.

Goldberg finished with seven saves and four goals allowed before giving way to freshman Anna Unger, who took over for the final 10 minutes. Unger gave up two more goals without recording a save.

On the other end, the Bald Eagles stifled the Raiders’ offense, limiting Colgate to just five shots on goal and two corners. The Raiders’ lone goal came in the 56th minute, when sophomore defender Nora Mulroy spun off a defender and fired a shot inside the far post to avoid the shutout.

With the win, Lock Haven kept pace just behind conference-leading Saint Joseph’s and remained undefeated at home this season. The Bald Eagles open A-10 play Friday on the road against Massachusetts.

Saint Joseph’s shuts out Penn to get back in win column

Junior goalkeeper Victoria Kammerinke posted her second shutout of the season against the Quakers behind a strong defense as the Saint Joseph’s field hockey team rolled to a 4-0 victory on the road on Sunday.

One week after surrendering three goals to Rutgers in the Hawks’ first loss of the year, St. Joe’s (4-1) bounced back with a dominant defensive showing. Kammerinke made only two saves on the day, but the defense for St. Joe’s disrupted the Penn attack and allowed just six shots.

After the win on Sunday, the Hawks have allowed a total of five goals through the first five games of the season. For Kammerinke, the shutout was the 11th of her career.

Anna Willocks and Jordan Olenginski each scored once for the Hawks, but freshman Tonya Botherway stole the show on offense, scoring two goals to put the game out of reach.

With St. Joe’s up 1-0 in the 24th minute, Botherway took a pass from Pepa Serrano after a blocked corner and found the net for her fourth collegiate goal. Her second goal, less than four minutes out of the half, extended the lead to 3-0. After the win, Botherway was named the A-10 Rookie of the Week.

Saint Joseph’s finished with eight shots on goal, scoring on half and six penalty corners. Serrano led the team with two assists, finishing with a team-leading five assists on the year.

The win comes in the middle of a six-game road stretch and immediately after Saint Joseph’s first loss of the year. Widely projected to win their second straight A-10 championship this year, the Hawks open up conference play on Friday against Davidson.

Thomas Haines can be reached at [email protected] followed on Twitter @thainessports.