Roughly 900 students move into Northeast ahead of new school year

The area has six first-year halls
(Collegian file photo)

The Northeast Residential Area is known among University of Massachusetts students as one of the largest residential areas on campus for first-year students, and this academic year is no different.

Roughly 900 first-year students moved into single and double rooms in the area throughout Labor Day weekend.

According to Mary Dettloff, the deputy director of the office of news and media relations, the Hamlin/Leach Cluster now has 281 first-year students, Crabtree/Knowlton has 269 and Mary Lyon/Dwight has 341. Sylvan’s McNamara Hall welcomed 420 first-year students, rounding the total students participating in the Northeast/Sylvan Residential First-Year Experience to 1311.

In order to help the large number of first-year students transition to UMass, the Residential Life staff offers support and resources that are catered specifically to the needs of students in their first year of college by way of the Residential Curriculum.

“Through our intentional sequenced way of promoting learning in the residence halls, our first-year students have opportunities at many different events, interactions and activities that allow for continued growth and development,” Dettloff said.

Aside from first-year halls, Northeast also has Thatcher, Johnson and Lewis.

The nine traditionally-styled buildings of Northeast create a large “quad” area with a volleyball court and is conveniently located next to Worcester Dining Commons, which also houses Chicken and Co. and the Yuri Kochiyama Cultural Center in the basement.

Next to the current Worcester Dining Commons is the new Worcester Commons, which is currently under construction. Started in July 2018, the construction will include the new dining hall, a ground-floor retail food café, the commercial bakery currently located at Hampden, a restaurant, lounges, meeting rooms, a fitness center, a contemplative space and music practice rooms. The project is expected to be completed in Fall 2020.

Several of the buildings in Northeast are affiliated with Residential Academic Programs. According to UMass, nearly half of incoming students enroll in a RAP.

“A RAP includes an exciting course with a small class size and a living-learning community in the residence hall. These courses are taught by engaging instructors and fulfill university requirements. All RAPs help students build a foundation for success in college,” the website states.

Crabtree Hall has the Veterinary & Animal Science Majors and Sustainability & Society RAPs, Knowlton Hall has the Scientific Thinking and CNS Connect RAPs, Mary Lyon Hall has the Cultural Explorations RAP, Dwight Hall has the Engineering Majors RAP, Hamlin Hall has the CNS Connect RAP, Leach Hall has Engineering Majors RAP and Thatcher Hall has the Global Opportunities RAP.

Lewis Hall also houses the Asian/Asian American Student Community Defined Residential Community.

“The Asian/Asian American Community emphasizes the value of understanding the links between Asian and Asian American issues in an era of global migration, media and capital. Students in the community gather frequently to discuss issues of identity, leadership, belonging and values,” the DRC page explains.

The DRC community in Northeast also focuses on community-building and off-campus field trips focused on culture.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @AbigailCharp.