UMPD Logs: Friday, Nov. 15 – Sunday, Nov. 17

Several parties were removed to the hospital

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Nov. 15, 2019 to Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019.

Friday, Nov. 15, 2019

Alarm-(Prefire)

3:09 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 was notified of an accidental or defective pre-alarm that went off at Washington Dorm on Fearing Street. Fire Engine 1 states the reason for activation is unknown, and the alarm was reset.

8:20 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 was notified of and reset an accidental or defective pre-alarm at Brooks Hall on Infirmary Way.

Traffic Stop 

3:54 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a red-light violation on the intersection of North Pleasant Street and Pine Street. Amherst Police Department was notified.

4:29 p.m.: Two parties were issued summonses during a traffic stop on Roosevelt Street in Hadley.

4:47 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a marked lanes violation and for flashing high beams on Fearing Street.

5:08 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a traffic light violation on Massachusetts Avenue.

5:11 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Governors Drive.

11:51 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment and not wearing seatbelts in Lot 49I (east of Van Meter Hall) on Van Meter Road.

Lost/Found Property

3:59 p.m.: Items found outside University Health Services on Infirmary Way were placed into lost and found at the UMPD station.

4:17 p.m.: A reporting party stated a credit card was found outside University Health Services on Infirmary Way. An officer brought the credit card to the UMPD station and placed it into lost and found.

Traffic Enforcement

4:24 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on Commonwealth Avenue. The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Commonwealth Avenue.

4:24 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Presidents Drive.

11:59 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on University Drive.

Assist Agency

5:10 p.m.: One record was given a Criminal Justice Information Services validation at the UMPD station on East Pleasant Street.

Liquor Law Violations

8:05 pm.: Two parties at the northeast corner of Lot 22A on University Drive were issued summonses. A small amount of alcohol, pills, marijuana and a BB gun were seized.

Suspicious Person/Activity

1:36 a.m.:  A party was placed into protective custody.

11:37 p.m.: Five parties were attempting to fine a lost cell phone outside the Observatory Building on Observatory Road.

Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019

Suspicious Vehicle

12:52 a.m.: Two vehicles seen at the Central Loading Dock belonged to maintainers.

4:49 a.m.: A party was found sleeping in the rear of his vehicle parked in Lot 32W on Massachusetts Avenue. The party had been drinking previously in the night and did not want to drive. The party showed no sign of impairment and checked ok. The party planned to meet with friends in an hour or so.

9:07 a.m.: An officer reported heavy damage to the suspension of the passenger side of a vehicle in Lot 63 (east of the Natural Life Sciences Building) on Thatcher Road. There was heavy damage to both passenger side wheels, damage to the passenger side mirror and damage to the front bumper cover and under the carriage. The officer advises the key is broken off in the ignition. The vehicle was in the parking lot with no permits or tow record. The affiliate party has no on-campus address. The party listed has a voicemail box that is full and not accepting any more messages at this time. All doors were secure on the vehicle. Thatcher Road, north of UHS, is the suspected location of the site of impact. The officer secured images and requested an Ernie’s Towing tow truck. The vehicle had struck the curb in the north-bound lane of Thatcher Road past Infirmary Way and the Durfee greenhouse. The vehicle caused damage to a section of the curb and grass when it left the roadway. There was damage to the paved road surface caused by the edge of the passenger side front wheel after the tire went flat following the impact with the curb. A citation to issue is pending identification of the operator for leaving the scene, a property damage accident, a marked lanes violation and damage to road surface.

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:56 a.m.: A female party in the lobby of the Integrative Learning Center on the side next to North Pleasant Street was waiting for the bus. The party was moved along. She gained entrance through an unlocked door located on the south east lobby door. Watch Tour was contacted to secure the door.

Disturbance

1:31 a.m.: UMPD received a 911 transfer from state police. A reporting party stated four parties were involved in a physical altercation outside Moore Hall on Southwest Circle. All parties were white males. One was wearing a white shirt and jeans. One was wearing a red shirt. One was in all black. The parties were reported to have left Southwest Circle toward the area of Pierpont Hall and Moore Hall. An officer spoke with a Pierpont desk monitor. The parties were yelling, but there was not physical altercation. The parties were gone on arrival. 

Open Window/Door 

2:28 a.m.: The east side entrance of the Integrated Science Building on North Pleasant Street was unable to be secured due to mechanism that locks it. Watch Tour was requested. Watch Tour arrived on scene, secured the door and put in a request for repair.

Lost/Found Property

4:08 a.m.: A lost UCard was brought to the UMPD station on East Pleasant Street.

5:32 p.m.: An Uber driver dropped of a phone at the UMPD station. The phone was left in his car the previous night.

Traffic Enforcement

5:53 a.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on Massachusetts Avenue. The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Lincoln Avenue.

4:21 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on Commonwealth Avenue.

4:50 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted at Lot 71 (west of the Whitmore Administration Building) on Massachusetts Avenue.

5:56 p.m.: Traffic enforcement was conducted on the intersection of University Drive and Massachusetts Avenue.

Accident – Property Damage

7:00 p.m.: No injuries were reported in a two-vehicle accident on Massachusetts Avenue and University Drive. Ernie’s was on the scene and towed both vehicles.

Alarm – Fire Trouble

7:16 p.m.: An accidental/defective alarm was triggered in Dickinson Hall and F1 was notified.

Parking Complaint

8:31 p.m.: A parking ticket was issued to a vehicle in Lot 42 (south of Boyden Gym) on Commonwealth Avenue.

9:54 p.m.: A reporting party states there were no ResLife parking spaces available in Lot 50C on Kennedy Road. Contact was made with the owner of a vehicle. The reporting party was advised to park elsewhere and a parking citation was left.

Traffic Stop

12:20 a.m.: The operator of a gray BMW was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight on University Drive.

1:15 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight in Lot 50F (west of Patterson Hall, south of John Adams Hall) on John Adams Road.

1:28 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop on University Drive.

2:14 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights in Lot 32W on Massachusetts Avenue. The operator had a Korean driver’s license.

5:29 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a stop sign violation on Southwest Circle.

8:33 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue for operating without headlights.

9:40 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue for defective equipment.

9:45 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on University Drive for operating without headlights.

9:55 p.m.: A summons for arrest was issued to two parties on Massachusetts Avenue.

11:50 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on Lot 29D (across from Baker Hall) was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights.

11:56 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue and Stadium Drive was issued a verbal warning for failing to follow a sign.

Alarm – Fire

12:57 a.m.: Fire Engine 1 and AFD was notified of an accidental or defective alarm that went off at Patterson Hall on Sunset Avenue. The alarm came from a kitchen. There were no smoke or fire. The alarm was reset.

3:48 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 was notified of and reset an alarm at Linden House of the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Avenue.

9:20 p.m.: F1 and AFD were notified of a triggered alarm in Lincoln Apt. 5 on Lincoln Ave. The alarm was due to cooking smoke in room 515 and the alarm was reset.

Fraud

9:56 p.m.: A reporting party in Dickinson Hall stated he received a fake check for $2,980 and when he inquired how to return the check, the party was told he could not return it and would be charged an extra fee. The reporting party had not cashed the check yet.

Assist Agency

11:58 a.m.: Officers were present for the UMass basketball game at the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

6:52 p.m.: Officers, Fire Engine 2 and Emergency Medical Technicians were present for the UMass hockey game versus Boston University at the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

10:11 p.m.: Three EMTS were on the scene at the Campus Center for a dance in the Auditorium until 2:00 a.m.

Assist Citizen

2:39 a.m.: A reporting party stated a white male in the area of Orchard Hill Drive/Sylvan Residential Area possibly damaging vehicles. The reporting party stated she saw the male party wearing an olive hoodie and black pants with something in his hand near the radar tower at Lot 49. The reporting party then heard a banging sound. She suspects the party hit a car with the object. A search of the area found no damage to vehicles.

10:43 a.m.: A reporting party is concerned about someone’s behavior and online rants, especially since he’s been “dropping his name in order to gain credibility.” The reporting party is concerned about the individual’s overall behavior spiraling out of control.

5:37 p.m.: A reporting party stated there is a print of a swastika taped to the door of a dorm at Leach Hall on Eastman Lane. The resident of the room posted the memes taped to the door. The officer on the scene stated this was not a bias incident.

Intoxicated Person

12:07 a.m.: An intoxicated male party was in the lobby of a hall on Massachusetts Avenue. The party was conscious, not alert and vomiting. Amherst Fire Department arrived on scene and transported the party to Cooley Dickinson Hospital. The party stated he had been drinking vodka in his room.

12:22 a.m.: AFD sent an ambulance to Moore Hall for an intoxicated female party. The party was unconscious but breathing. She had vomited. The party was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital.

1:20 a.m.: One intoxicated female was found on the north side outside Cance Hall on Fearing Street. The party was conscious and semi-alert. The party was placed into protective custody.

11:24 p.m.: An intoxicated person was taken into protective custody.

Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019

Suspicious Vehicle

12:30 a.m.: A vehicle in Lot 49F (north of water towers) on Windmill Lane checked “ok.”

Assist Citizen

12:49 a.m.: A 911 call was transferred from state about a group of people harassing a party and his friend in Tobin Hall. The parties on the phone were argumentative and verbal. He stated that he was hanging out with a friend when a party and his friends approached them and began harassing them. The party gave no explanation for his behavior but admitted to taking pictures, which were erased from his phone. All parties were advised to stay away from each other and left the area without incident.

1:55 a.m.: A reporting party from John Quincy Adams Hall stated he believed his Lenovo Yoga laptop was being remotely controlled by an unknown party. He received no “ransom” request but had several pictures of settings that he believed to be suspicious. The party was advised to contact UMass IT about the situation.

Traffic Stop

1:10 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning on University Drive for not following a sign.

1:13 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle near the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors on Massachusetts Avenue was stopped for defective headlights. The operator was found unlicensed and issued a summons for arrest.

1:41 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failure to yield at the Rotary on North Pleasant Street near Furcolo.

5:03 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on University Drive for a stop sign violation.

5:31 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Thatcher Road for a defective headlight.

11:35 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Eastman Lane for operating without headlights.

Intoxicated Person

1:38 a.m.: A male party in a residential hall on Fearing Street was reported intoxicated, but conscious and semi-alert in the building’s lobby. The person did not meet the protective custody criteria.

2:33 a.m.: An intoxicated person in Washington Hall on Fearing Street was removed to the hospital.

2:41 a.m.: An intoxicated person in John Adams Hall on Fearing Street was removed to the hospital.

Health/Safety Hazard

3:07 a.m.: A reporting party states there is water running on Thatcher Road between the Life Sciences Laboratory and the steam plant and is freezing. F1 was notified before they put salt down in the road where the ice was forming. He also contacted a worker in the steam plant to notify them of the excess water runoff in the road.

Alarm – Fire Trouble

4:47 a.m.: F1 was notified of an alarm in the Lederle Graduate Research Tower on North Pleasant Street. They referred the issue to tech.

Accident – Property Damage

8:09 a.m.: A reporting party states there was a fender bender near Lot 43C (west of Leach/Crabtree) on Eastman Lane. APD arrived on the scene further investigation revealed that the accident occurred during the evening hours on Nov. 16 in the town of Amherst. Both operators were provided with accident information sheets and were advised to submit claims to their respective insurance companies.

Assist Agency

9:17 a.m.: A party requested a well-being check on a UMass student/ROTC who did not show up for training in Springfield. The party was found in his room and was advised to call his sargeant.

2:05 p.m.: Departmental Action was taken.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

3:08 p.m.: A party ran out of gas but managed to pull up onto the curb on Commonwealth Avenue. The party said she would be contacting AAA.

911 Hang-Up Call

3:21 p.m.: A help phone near Van Meter Hall on Clark Hill Road was activated, but nothing was heard in the background. An officer states no one was in need of assistance.

Parking Complaint

6:41 p.m.: A party reported there were no ResLife parking spaces available in Lot 63 (at the north end of Thatcher).

Lost/Found Property

10:49 p.m.: A party found a laptop and was left at the student monitor’s desk at Crabtree. The security desk states the owner has retrieved the computer.

Alarm – (Prefire)

11:08 p.m.: F1 was notified of an accidental/defective alarm in McNamara Hall and reset it.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.