Students for Alternative Music host concert and community clothing swap

SALT partnered with Green-O Sub Shop
(Parker Peters/ Daily Collegian)

Students for Alternative Music, also known as SALT, hosted their last concert of the month on Sunday featuring three local bands and a community clothing swap partnered with Green-O Sub Shop at the University of Massachusetts.

According to a Facebook event page, the concert featured Deep Red, Sleep Destroyer and Eliza Y2K. While the performances were free, donations were suggested by the organizers.

“We thought the swap was a good idea for sustainability and promote re-using old things,” SALT president and UMass junior Eleanor Rose said.

SALT is a UMass RSO that organizes concerts for young, independent artists to showcase their talents.

One audience member, junior anthropology major Micky Cox, enjoyed how diversified and close-knit this community can be. “It’s such an open and accepting place,” he said.

Rose added that maintaining the open flow of the shows has always been paramount to the organization.

In the crowded room, the aromas of a hot oven mixed with the sweat of over 50 show-goers. Some sat on the couches huddled in conversation right beside bouncing dancers. Carson Caraluzzi, lead member of the band Deep Red, quickly stacked his guitar on the amplifier and wheeled it outside when their act was finished.

The rest of his band followed close behind toting their own instruments and bulky amps. As soon as the stage was cleared, Caraluzzi returned to help the final act set up. Contrary to the former, a four-piece rock band, the final number was performed by one person and their laptop. Eliza Young, also known by their stage name Eliza Y2K, brought the crowd to life with their synth and voice.

The performances varied as much as the people in the crowd. Some came for the bands and others came to swap clothes while many didn’t even know there was a show.

The table of clothes was just as motley – its entire color spectrum changed every few minutes. Everything from sweatpants and graphic tee shirts to floral dresses and brown leather jackets were trafficked on and off the table.

Eliza culminated the night by dancing alongside the crowd, dancing gracefully considering their clogs, crocs, and combat boots. They said the encouragement they’ve received keeps her performing and invested.

“I just got his flurry of promotions,” they said. “It’s kind of addicting.”

Nate Procter can be reached at [email protected].