This week at UMass: Tuesday, Feb. 18 to Sunday, Feb. 23

Boba Bash at Moge Tee, UMass New Play Lab and more
(Collegian file photo)

The following are five highlights of what’s happening on the University of Massachusetts campus and surrounding community from Tuesday, Feb. 18 to Sunday, Feb. 23.

Boba Bash at Moge Tee

The UMass Asian American Student Association is celebrating the opening of the new Moge Tee at 71 N Pleasant St. from 3 – 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 19. Along with giving away prizes every hour, AASA executive board members will be playing board games with attendees. To participate in the event, tell the cashier you are there for AASA when you order.

Toward Freedom, Justice and Peace

The Stand with Kashmir chapter at UMass is holding their inaugural event on Wednesday, Feb. 19 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. in the Communication Hub of the Integrative Learning Center. The event will be moderated by UMass professor Dr. Sut Jhally and will feature Dr. Mohamad Junaid (Stand with Kashmir), Dr. Ozlem Goner (Emergency Committee for Rojava), journalist Budour Hassan (JLAC Palestine) and a Skype with Dr. Yasser Munif (Global Solidarity with Syria). This panel brings together coalitions of scholars and activists to talk about their histories of resistance, imaginaries of liberation and decolonization.

Guest Chef Joanne Weir Visits Worcester Dining Commons

UMass Alumna Joanne Weir will be visiting the campus on Friday, Feb. 21. The award-winning author, cooking teacher, chef, television personality and restaurateur will be giving a demonstration and presentation about Mediterranean cuisine at 6:30 p.m. in the Oak Room located in Worcester Dining Commons.

UMass New Play Lab

The last two sessions of this semester’s UMass New Play Lab will take place at the Curtain Theater in the Fine Arts Center on Thursday, Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 22 at 2 p.m. Now in its seventh iteration, Play Lab offers graduate student dramaturgs and directors, as well as a cast of undergrads, the opportunity to work on selecting and shaping new work fresh from the brains of emerging playwrights. Audience members are invited to the free post-show conversation after every performance. Admission for students is $5.

Clothing Swap Show

Greeno Sub Shop is hosting a clothing swap in their location in the basement of Greenough Hall on Sunday, Feb. 23 from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. The event is co-hosted by Students for Alternative Music, with Deep Red, Sleep Destroyer and Eliza Y2K performing.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp.