Arts Weekly Playlist

Top staff picks from this week’s new music releases
Joey Lorant / Daily Collegian

Name: Nic Roy, Collegian Contributor

Song: “Nothing New” – Taylor Swift ft. Phoebe Bridgers

With the long awaited re-release of “Red” comes another slew of songs ‘From The Vault,’ the best of which is this vulnerable duet about Taylor’s fears of becoming irrelevant and replaceable in a world that is constantly moving around her. While Taylor can certainly hold her own on the track, the song is made even better with the somber vocals of Phoebe Bridgers. Over a simple acoustic guitar, the duo’s voices melt together beautifully, trading verses written solely by Swift. While most cannot relate to the idea of being a huge artist in fear that others will someday take their spot and leave them forgotten, Taylor’s talent comes in writing lyrics that make a specific idea feel universal such as answering the question, “are we only biding time ‘til I lose your attention?”

Name: Shannon Moore, Staff Writer

Song: “Bad Man (Smooth Criminal)” – Polo G

Polo G finally dropped the much anticipated single, “Bad Man (Smooth Criminal)” sampling Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” as the base for the beat. Since getting leaked a few months prior, the track gained ample traction on social media, specifically TikTok. The song is worth a listen even if just for the MJ-inspired beat itself, which utilizes the famous bass line from the classic track to create the spine of the new song. Polo G pays homage to the original with references within the bars to “Smooth Criminal,” all while adding his own flair. The Chicago native certainly delivered a fun, fast paced beat that makes you want to jump out of your chair and moonwalk.

Name: Sierra Thornton, Staff Writer

Song: “Any Other Way” – Eric Nam

Musician and podcast host, Eric Nam returns with a track perfectly suited for the cold season. “Any Other Way” is as charismatic as his personality, which seeps through with his warm vocals. The addition of whistles and concealed whispers mix with the loops of the guitar and drums to conjure images of late-night drives with a secret lover, a ballroom dance under the pale moonlight or a compilation of both scenarios. Either way, the song is another example of how talented Eric Nam is in the musical outlet.

Name: Molly Hamilton, Assistant Arts Editor

Song: “Salt Lake City” – Etta Marcus, Matt Maltese

After an impressive debut single released in early October, Etta Marcus hits yet another emotional peak with the hazy duet, “Salt Lake City.” Both Marcus’ and English singer-songwriter Matt Maltese’s vocals have a softness that perfectly captures longing, regret and grief. The slightly distorted, folksy guitar that backs them highlights Marcus’ unique tone. With lyrics that fall somewhere in between those of Bruce Springsteen’s and Phoebe Bridgers’, “Salt Lake City” manages to hit on all the classic motifs of Americana. For a second single by a relatively unknown artist, this track is undoubtedly one of the most exciting Indie releases of the year.

Astghik Dion can be reached at [email protected].