UMass SGA President Prabhu Rajkumar resigns

Speaker Patrick Collins will replace President Prabhu Rajkumar, with Associate Speaker Julia Curto to replace Collins
Anish Roy / Daily Collegian

University of Massachusetts Student Government Association President Prabhu Rajkumar resigned Wednesday night at the weekly senate meeting.

“In the past few months, there have been quite a few concerns about my performance as President, most notably my inability to attend several meetings,” Rajkumar said. “I would like to apologize for this and for the lackluster leadership I’ve shown as the face of the SGA.”

Rajkumar cited personal and family-related issues as well as an increased academic load as being the reason for his resignation.

“I got into SGA because I wanted to represent my peers and make a real difference, and in my current situation, I don’t believe that I am the best person to be the face of the SGA,” Rajkumar said.

“To all of you here, don’t be afraid to speak up and stand up for what you believe in, and never forget why we’re all here. It’s not about us as individuals, we’re here for all students in this University,” Rajkumar continued.

Current SGA Speaker Patrick Collins was sworn in to replace Rajkumar as SGA president. Associate Speaker Julia Curto was sworn in to replace Collins. Vice President Katzman will remain in his position.

“Saying goodbye to the place I’ve known since I was a freshman is hard, more so when it is coming earlier than expected, but I have no doubt that the new leadership will do an excellent job representing the needs of the students,” Rajkumar said.

This will be the second early departure for an SGA president in three years, the first being former President Timothy Sullivan’s impeachment two years ago. Rajkumar had previously faced calls to resign as Chair of the Finance Committee due totweets expressing anti-immigration sentiments that had been uncovered.

“At this point, my goals still remain the same. I’m trying to bridge the gap between the legislative and the executive branch. That’s always been my goal,” newly sworn-in President Patrick Collins said.

“It’s been an honor working alongside President Rajkumar and I want to thank him for working to always put students first,” Vice President Katzman said.

Lydia Washington, associate director for Student Engagement and Leadership and the SGA advisor, pointed to an upcoming leadership meeting surrounding whether the current cabinet will remain on. The SGA will release more information at the next senate meeting according to Washington.

Alex Genovese can be reached at [email protected] and can be followed on Twitter @alex_genovese1. Rachel Comeau can be reached at [email protected].