Blink-182 returns with ‘ONE MORE TIME’

The classic pop-punk trio is back with a brand new album
Blink-182 returns with ‘ONE MORE TIME’
Blink-182’s Facebook

“Do I have to die to hear you miss me?”

The line is echoed by front man and guitarist Tom Delonge on “ONE MORE TIME,” the title track on Blink-182’s long-awaited second reunion album. When Delonge left the band for the second time in 2015, he was okay with never touring again, until bass player Mark Hoppus was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma in 2021 — a battle Hoppus beat later the same year. Now, Blink-182 returns in full swing with production by drummer Travis Barker; a scene almost straight out of any hardcore Blink fan’s dream.

From 2015 to 2022, Blink-182 was joined by Alkaline Trio’s Matt Skiba, releasing albums “California” and “Nine.” After fan speculation surrounding a reunion with Delonge, Blink-182 confirmed they were reuniting with “EDGING,” their first song with Delonge since 2015.

Alongside the release, they announced an upcoming untitled album and a 2023-2024 world tour.

After their 2023 summer leg, their ninth studio album “ONE MORE TIME” was officially announced. The album tells Blink’s story of growth over the past two decades and sets a new high for the name and legacy of Blink-182.

Blink-182 is officially back, not only with new music, but with new appreciation for life and the time they share together on Earth.

Blink opens the album with “ANTHEM PART 3,” which continues themes that begin in 1999’s track “Anthem” and the second part in 2001, aptly named “Anthem Part 2.” The intro plays similar to the past songs, welcoming veteran listeners back and picking up where the band left off 22 years ago. After a signature Barker drum fill, “ANTHEM PART 3” explodes into an authentic new installment that introduces the album with the familiarity of 1999 Blink-182, but performed and expressed with brand new life. “This time, I won’t be complacent,” Hoppus sings during the chorus. “The dreams I gave up and wasted.”

Throughout the 17 tracks, Blink-182 showcases their signature sound, humor and personality that fans love and expect. Pop-punk ballads like “BAD NEWS,” “OTHER SIDE” and “YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’VE GOT”’ stand out on the record with meaningful and honest lyrics about heartbreak, loss and grief. Each are backed by interchanging vocals from Delonge and Hoppus, replicating the unique sound the trio has perfected and made their own since 1999’s “Enema of the State.”

Tracks such as “TURN THIS OFF!” and “F**K FACE” follows their trend of writing short, fast and loud interludes with some of the craziest lyrics you’ll ever hear, as seen by songs like 2001’s “Happy Holidays, You Bastard.”

“OTHER SIDE” also writes about Hoppus’s late bass technician and longtime friend, Robert Ortiz, who passed away in May 2022. “It will never be the same stage right, but we’ll always have that coffee life,” Hoppus sings. “I’ll see you on the other side.” Hoppus’s songwriting and lyricism truly shine through on this album; each time he sings, he has me hooked onto every word.

A unique aspect to the new project is the addition of tracks following the past side-project styles of Blink’s members. “HURT (INTERLUDE)” is reminiscent of songs from Delonge’s band Angels and Airwaves while “TERRIFIED” is a full-on punk-rock track brought back from Box Car Racers, the early 2000s band featuring Delonge and Barker.

The title track “ONE MORE TIME” is one of the band’s most honest songs to date. The song  directly references experiences and turning points in Blink’s career that brought them close together, such as Hoppus’s cancer diagnosis and Barker’s 2008 plane crash that sparked the band’s initial reunion. The song reflects Blink’s history and the turbulent bonds between the members over the years.

Delonge’s lyrics are heavily reflective of his relationship with Hoppus and Barker since he initially left in 2005.

“Do I have to die to hear you miss me,” Delonge sings. “I don’t wanna act like there’s tomorrow, I don’t wanna wait to do this one more time.”

The song’s music video also creates a strong nostalgic presence by putting the band in front of different backdrops previously seen in other music videos over the years, such as “Adam’s Song” and “Stay Together for the Kids.” “ONE MORE TIME” sets the overall tone for the band’s reunion and certainly paves the way for the future of Blink-182.

In a recent interview with Apple Music’s Zane Lowe, Delonge spoke about the band’s return and the start of a new era.

“We’re gonna cherish this,” Delonge said. “We’re gonna nurture it and we’re gonna take care of it, and we’re gonna be thankful for it.”

To simply put it, “The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show” has returned in full fashion with the best reunion album they could have put together. Every song encapsulates what has garnered their reputation as the pioneers of mainstream pop-punk and it is surely great to have them back.

Seeing Blink live with Delonge in May was something I never thought would happen, and the energy on stage with the three of them back together is unmatched. The future for Blink-182 is looking incredibly bright.

Peter Tuohy can be reached at [email protected]