Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Top 5 songs you’ll love more than the original

Everybody loves cover songs. Some put an interesting new age spin on old classics, while others butcher hits that should have never been touched. Here is a list of my top five covers that blow the originals out of the water. If you want to see for yourself, check out our account at  http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Top+5+Cover+Songs/36870030 . Listen in and make the decision for yourself whether or not these covers own the originals.

1. Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers

It is hard to think that anybody could ever top one of Stevie Wonder’s original tracks. After listening to the Chili Peppers’ version of Higher Ground, however, you’ll be likely to rethink that. From the second you hear the opening bass line your mind will likely be blown. While Stevie may have mastered the 70’s funk feel, it’s 2010 and the Red Hot Chili Peppers make it impossible to stand still when this comes over the speakers.

2. B******Ain’t Sh** by Ben Folds

Who ever thought that a track off Dr. Dre’s The Chronic could make you shed a tear? Ben Folds take on the gangsta rap classic sounds like it came straight off the soundtrack of The Notebook. Probably one of the most original and funniest covers I’ve ever come across, Ben Folds struck gold with this song. This song will make even the most adamant feminists realize that “b***** ain’t sh** but hoes and tricks”.

3. All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix

Do I really even have to explain this pick? Most people are shocked when they find out this song isn’t written by Jimi Hendrix. That’s because it kicks the crap out of Bob Dylan’s original. While I love Bob Dylan’s whiney, melancholy voice as much as the next guy, let’s be serious. Hendrix can make his guitar sing better than Bob Dylan’s voice. I do miss the harmonica from Dylan’s version but I’m sure if Hendrix wanted to he could have done that better too.

4. Over the Rainbow/ What A Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

Combining Judy Garland’s ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’ and Louis Armstrong’s ‘What A Wonderful World’, Israel Kamakawiwo’ole puts a relaxing Hawaiian spin on both of them. The 1930s sucked and so does Judy Garland’s version of this song. So get with the times and realize this version reigns supreme.

5. Dancing in the Street by Van Halen

At least one good thing came out of the 80’s and that was Van Halen’s cover of the 1964 classic by Martha and the Vandellas. The upbeat drumming and synthesizers in the 80s remake actually make the songs title much more fitting. I personally can’t help but drop everything I’m doing and dance wherever I may be when this song comes on. Aside from the mullets and crazy neon spandex Van Halen was doing it right when they made this song.

Josh Steinberg can be reached at jssteinb@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Top 5 songs you’ll love more than the original”
  1. JBo says:

Good article. I pretty much agree with all of these…

2. really? says:

While I agree that Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What A Wonderful Life’ is amazing, I completely disagree with your statement that Judy Garland’s ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’ sucked. She had an amazingly impressive classical voice, one which most singers nowadays lack, what with ProTools and Autotune and all. Her voice and that song are a classic, and while it can be covered all people want, nothing can compare to it.