‘Stopping Genocide and Mass Atrocities by Stopping the War Profiteers’ talk at UMass -

UMass hockey falls to No. 6 UMass Lowell for third time this season -

UMass hockey breakdown in final minutes of the second period on route to 5-2 loss to UMass Lowell -

Notebook: Jack Gibbs stars as UMass men’s basketball team drops game to Davidson Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball drops another close game, falls to Davidson Saturday afternoon -

Local blogger Larry Kelley dies in car crash, remembered by community -

REPORT: UMass football to name Ed Pinkham as next defensive coordinator -

UMass students skip class to stand in solidarity with undocumented immigrants and refugees -

NPR Education Correspondent Eric Westervelt talks on future of education -

Faculty of journalism department discusses failures of journalism during Trump era -

UMass hockey prepares for third and final match-up against No. 6 UMass Lowell on Saturday -

Panelists hold discussion on embodying global coalitions -

Journalist speaks on criminalization of youth in the United States -

UMass women’s lacrosse heads to Florida in search of first win of 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to get offense back on track against Ohio State -

Duquesne stomps UMass men’s basketball 96-66 in Pittsburgh -

UMass softball focuses on mental approach ahead of Madeira Beach Invitational -

UMass women’s basketball drops eighth straight in loss at Richmond -

‘50 Shades Darker’ steams up all windows in the nation -

’20th Century Women’ is a love letter to women across generations -

The Grammys: The Best and Worst Dressed (and Nicki Minaj)

There was a somber cloud hanging over the heads of everyone present at last night’s Grammy Awards, making the red carpet before the show a noticeably more subdued event than usual.  While the Academy Awards and Golden Globes prominently feature elegant and sophisticated looks, the Grammys are when artists and celebrities let loose and attempt to outdo each other in the wackiness factor.  However, the biggest names in the music industry clearly had the passing of Whitney Houston on their minds, reflecting in their overall less extravagant ensembles, many opting to wear black.  However, not all completely abandoned the tradition of amping up the weirdness.  Here are my picks for the best and worst dressed at the 2012 Grammys (in no particular order):

THE BEST DRESSED

Carrie Underwood in Gomez-Garcia

Courtesy of Getty

The country superstar stayed classy and fabulous in this age-appropriate, long sleeved white gown.  The backless, intricately detailed ensemble made her shine.

Taylor Swift in Zuhair Murad

Courtesy of Getty

Abandoning her usual go-to pretty princess gown, T.Swift kicked it up a notch in this very grown up nude dress.  With gorgeous sparkling embellishments and mermaid fit, along with her pulled back hair in favor of the usual curls, this look screams sophistication.  Total stunnah.

Adele in Giorgio Armani

Courtesy of Getty

The British songstress, who walked away with 6 Grammys at the end of the night, also was a clear winner on the red carpet.  Embodying Old Hollywood glamour with bright red lipstick and a sparkling, form-fitting gown, Adele proved once again her Perfect taste in red carpet attire.  Simply dazzling.

Rihanna in Giorgio Armani

Courtesy of Getty

RiRi was daring as per usual with this silk black frock, which she collaborated on with Mr. Armani himself.  Featuring a plunging neckline, this look stayed simple yet dramatic, and she definitely pulled it off.  I’m not sure if I’m a fan of her new blonde coif, but I’ll take it any day over her old Ronald McDonald do.

Deadmau5

Courtesy of AP

In which Deadmau5 trolls Skrillex.  Yes, Deadmau5 has made it possible for anyone to call up the dubstep DJ and congratulate him on his Grammy wins after displaying his personal cell phone number on his T-shirt.  And while t-shirt and jeans are not standard attire for a red carpet event, I’m a pretty big fan of this look.  The numbers appear above the text, ‘u mad bro?’ LOVE IT.

THE WORST DRESSED

Fergie in Jean Paul Gaultier

Courtesy of WireImage/FilmMagic

This was completely a “you love it or you hate it” look, and I’m going with the latter.  While I appreciate the lovely tangerine hue of this ensemble, the totally unflattering granny panties are questionable and distracting.  That along with the general “giant doily” vibe I’m getting from this gown places it at the bottom of my list.

Robyn

Courtesy of Getty

Robyn’s my girl, but I’ve sadly got to disagree with her red carpet choice.  Mullet dresses are rarely a good idea, especially when they fit in such an unflattering manner, and while the flat-form boots are completely on trend, they don’t do much to add anything to the ensemble.

Sasha Gradiva

Courtesy of Getty

Clearly the Russian electronic artist missed her calling to star in the Terminator.  Although I can appreciate a fashion risk, I was not a fan of this “gun show”.

Nicki Minaj

Courtesy of WireImage

The most discussed look of the evening warranted its own category.  Taking a page out of Gaga’s book (who was M.I.A. from the red carpet, but wore a Disney villain-esque Chanel  outfit to the show) the rapper showed up in a red custom-made Versace ensemble resembling Little Red Riding Hood.  Accompanied by “the Pope”, Minaj garnered a frenzy of attention from the crowds on the carpet.  While I give her props for risk-taking and venturing from her usual tight form-fitting getups, this whole situation just makes me feel like she’s trying way too hard.  I love me some Nicki, but I prefer her usual style then just another Gaga imitation.

Sarah Donahue can be reached at sldonahu@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “The Grammys: The Best and Worst Dressed (and Nicki Minaj)”
  1. Caroline Morse says:

Well done, Sarah!! Enjoyable blog read!! Great job!!