UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fight for college affordability continues -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

U.S. News ranks UMass among top 30 public universities -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Battling arguments -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tim McGraw comes back strong in ‘Sundown Heaven Town’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

No arrests made at UMass Homecoming tailgate and game -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Alt-J diversifies and grows in ‘This Is All Yours.’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FSU holds off the Wolfpack while Hill leads the Aggies to an overtime victory -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UPDATE: UMass Police Department and Student Affairs officials to conduct review of confidential informant policy -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass men’s soccer shut out by UNH, 1-0, on Sunday -

Monday, September 29, 2014

The best ways to decorate your dorm room -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass needs to actively combat sexual assault -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Northwestern District Attorney’s office hosts National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Students celebrate return of UMass football with tailgate festivities -

Monday, September 29, 2014

The Grammys: The Best and Worst Dressed (and Nicki Minaj)

There was a somber cloud hanging over the heads of everyone present at last night’s Grammy Awards, making the red carpet before the show a noticeably more subdued event than usual.  While the Academy Awards and Golden Globes prominently feature elegant and sophisticated looks, the Grammys are when artists and celebrities let loose and attempt to outdo each other in the wackiness factor.  However, the biggest names in the music industry clearly had the passing of Whitney Houston on their minds, reflecting in their overall less extravagant ensembles, many opting to wear black.  However, not all completely abandoned the tradition of amping up the weirdness.  Here are my picks for the best and worst dressed at the 2012 Grammys (in no particular order):

THE BEST DRESSED

Carrie Underwood in Gomez-Garcia

Courtesy of Getty

The country superstar stayed classy and fabulous in this age-appropriate, long sleeved white gown.  The backless, intricately detailed ensemble made her shine.

Taylor Swift in Zuhair Murad

Courtesy of Getty

Abandoning her usual go-to pretty princess gown, T.Swift kicked it up a notch in this very grown up nude dress.  With gorgeous sparkling embellishments and mermaid fit, along with her pulled back hair in favor of the usual curls, this look screams sophistication.  Total stunnah.

Adele in Giorgio Armani

Courtesy of Getty

The British songstress, who walked away with 6 Grammys at the end of the night, also was a clear winner on the red carpet.  Embodying Old Hollywood glamour with bright red lipstick and a sparkling, form-fitting gown, Adele proved once again her Perfect taste in red carpet attire.  Simply dazzling.

Rihanna in Giorgio Armani

Courtesy of Getty

RiRi was daring as per usual with this silk black frock, which she collaborated on with Mr. Armani himself.  Featuring a plunging neckline, this look stayed simple yet dramatic, and she definitely pulled it off.  I’m not sure if I’m a fan of her new blonde coif, but I’ll take it any day over her old Ronald McDonald do.

Deadmau5

Courtesy of AP

In which Deadmau5 trolls Skrillex.  Yes, Deadmau5 has made it possible for anyone to call up the dubstep DJ and congratulate him on his Grammy wins after displaying his personal cell phone number on his T-shirt.  And while t-shirt and jeans are not standard attire for a red carpet event, I’m a pretty big fan of this look.  The numbers appear above the text, ‘u mad bro?’ LOVE IT.

THE WORST DRESSED

Fergie in Jean Paul Gaultier

Courtesy of WireImage/FilmMagic

This was completely a “you love it or you hate it” look, and I’m going with the latter.  While I appreciate the lovely tangerine hue of this ensemble, the totally unflattering granny panties are questionable and distracting.  That along with the general “giant doily” vibe I’m getting from this gown places it at the bottom of my list.

Robyn

Courtesy of Getty

Robyn’s my girl, but I’ve sadly got to disagree with her red carpet choice.  Mullet dresses are rarely a good idea, especially when they fit in such an unflattering manner, and while the flat-form boots are completely on trend, they don’t do much to add anything to the ensemble.

Sasha Gradiva

Courtesy of Getty

Clearly the Russian electronic artist missed her calling to star in the Terminator.  Although I can appreciate a fashion risk, I was not a fan of this “gun show”.

Nicki Minaj

Courtesy of WireImage

The most discussed look of the evening warranted its own category.  Taking a page out of Gaga’s book (who was M.I.A. from the red carpet, but wore a Disney villain-esque Chanel  outfit to the show) the rapper showed up in a red custom-made Versace ensemble resembling Little Red Riding Hood.  Accompanied by “the Pope”, Minaj garnered a frenzy of attention from the crowds on the carpet.  While I give her props for risk-taking and venturing from her usual tight form-fitting getups, this whole situation just makes me feel like she’s trying way too hard.  I love me some Nicki, but I prefer her usual style then just another Gaga imitation.

Sarah Donahue can be reached at sldonahu@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “The Grammys: The Best and Worst Dressed (and Nicki Minaj)”
  1. Caroline Morse says:

Well done, Sarah!! Enjoyable blog read!! Great job!!