Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Morgan lifts UMass men’s hoops to road win

Jesse Morgan hasn’t exactly shot lights out heading into Tuesday night’s tilt at Northeastern. After all, he was a painful 2-for-17 from 3-point range over the last two games and looked discouraged with his shot.

Cade Belisle/Collegian

But with the Massachusetts men’s basketball locked in a grinder on the road and in need of a lift, Morgan didn’t disappoint.

He buried four 3-pointers in the final six minutes, 55 seconds as part of his 18-point outburst to catapult the Minutemen past the Huskies, 72-66, at Matthews Arena.

UMass (4-3) was trailing by six with 4:24 left, but it nailed a pair of triples to knot the score at 62. The second trey jumpstarted a late Minuteman 10-2 run to seize control and steal a victory.

Morgan was hesitant to say he was in a hot streak, but he admitted it was nice to see his 3s start to fall.

“It felt really good,” Morgan said in a postgame interview with UMass Athletics. “Chaz (Williams) did a great job of finding me.”

Williams said that once he saw Morgan start to knock down shots, he had to continue to feed him.

“Once he hit one, I just told him I’d keep going to him until he stopped making them and he just kept hitting them,” Williams said.

Kellogg said he’s seen Morgan hit big shots at all levels and knew he was capable of going on a hot streak.

“When his head’s confident and he’s in the right frame of mind, I think he can shoot with the best of them,” he said.

Tuesday marked UMass’ first game without forward Cady Lalanne, who was suspended Monday after being charged with three misdemeanors after an altercation Saturday night.

Senior Sampson Carter got the start in Lalanne’s place, and held his own in the paint with 14 points, shooting 3-of-5 from the field while draining 8-of-10 from the free throw line.

“I knew once I was able to get a lot of minutes, I knew I was going to be able to get going,” Carter said.

Kellogg said that Carter had been on him to get more minutes and feels this is his opportunity, but wasn’t surprised by his production.

“He seems to know how to play and just has a good feel for the game so I’m not surprised,” Kellogg said. “I actually expect a little more out of him.”

With the absence of Lalanne, the Minutemen didn’t overcompensate with more 3-pointers, but, in fact, shied away from the arc. UMass uncorked 20 attempts from down town – making seven – when it fired up an average of 30.5 3-pointers in the previous three games.

“Our motto is we’re gonna go play and compete, and if you have an open shot, put it in,” Kellogg said. “I keep telling them, ‘You’re getting open shots; just knock them down.’”

But Kellogg felt Lalanne was missed on the glass, as the Huskies outrebounded the Minutemen, 41-37.

“I think obviously Cady gets us some of those defensive rebounds because of his size,” Kellogg said.

UMass has a long break for final exams before it returns to the court on Dec. 15 to take on Elon in Springfield.

In the meantime, Kellogg knows there’s some work to be done in practice before its next contest.

“There’s really a ton of things we can get better at, so I think we do have a little room for growth.”

But he had to add one more thing.

“And shooting. We’re gonna shoot a ton.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.

One Response to “Morgan lifts UMass men’s hoops to road win”
  1. tom massetti says:

What an understatement . . . “a little room for growth”!I hope that was sarcasm!DK gotta get a handle on thimgs, he’s too easy with these guys.

You must be logged in to post a comment.